Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Fiddlers / Violinists  (Read 7313 times)
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« on: May 27, 2007, 04:09PM »

I was once not a big fan of violin. But ever since becoming a CW fan, i.e. 'converting", I have much more appreciation for such music. But then I think that Mairead is somewhat unique. Maybe other violin music isn't for me. I don't know. But next weekend 2 classical violinists, Linnea & Slyvia Hurttia, along with pianist William Larson, will be performing Scandinavian stuff in a concert very close to where I live. Its only $15 and I think there is some type of m&g that goes with it. Its a very small venue and I guess they figure few will show. Maybe I am wrong though, maybe they are sold out. Anyway my questions are:

Do any of you know of these musicians? If so, what do you think?

I guess for only $15 its worth a gamble to see what its all about.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:03PM »

Do any of you know of these musicians? If so, what do you think?
I guess for only $15 its worth a gamble to see what its all about.

No, I hadn't heard of them before, but I just looked at the program and the music will be good.
Mind you, I'm a bit of a "classics" nut anyway.

I would go. It's for a good cause.

You shouldn't compare them with Máiréad though......that wouldn't be fair to Linnea and Sylvia!
fireyred09
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:48PM »

It would be fun just to check it out! It's always worth a shot...

I play the violin myself, but oddly, I don't really enjoy famous violinists.

....until Mairead, that is!

If you're interested in other famous fiddlers, I highly reccomend Natalie Macmaster! She's really great! I actually listened to her music to get through my week-long CW fast before my concert!
Albertan

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:44PM »

And if you ever get a chance to see a performance of Secret Garden, you'd no doubt enjoy Fionnuala Sherry on violin.

For what it may be worth, Máiréad performed with Secret Garden on a couple of tracks ("The Reel" and "Daughters of Erin") on their most recent CD ("Earthsongs").

And on the same CD, Chloë's father playes oboe (or else the Cor anglaise) on several of the tracks.

And there's even a Laoise Kelly who plays Irish harp on a couple of tracks .... nah, it couldn't be ... could it?  Huh Huh

Gordon
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:47PM »

I have never been a fan of the violin. I still am not a violin fan and I never will be.

But give me a good fiffler and that is a different story. Combine a fiddle, git box and a bajo and we have a hoe down.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Aldhelm

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 05:24PM »

I don't usually listen to violinists other than Mairead, as it's a pretty new concept to me. I haven't been listening to Celtic and classical music that long, but Natalie MacMaster, Bonnie Rideout, and the fiddle player for Leahy have all impressed me these past few years since discovering CW.

Leahy is scheduled to come play in Tucson next February; hopefully I'll be able to go to that concert. Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: