Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On this day,October 30,1930 the legendary Clifford Brown was born  (Read 2582 times)
logalogalog

Remember the Fallen. Freedom is not free.

« on: October 30, 2007, 09:16AM »

On October 30,1930 the greatest jazz trumpeter the world has ever seen,and probably ever will see (and I mean that in all sincerity) was born.In just 4 years,one presidential term,one interval of time between Olympic contests,Clifford established himself as a prominent trumpeter who amazed other jazz legends such as Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie.In just 4 years he recorded enough music to fit on 10 CDs,a feat that barely any of today's musicians will accomplish.

The following quote is from tenor Saxophonist Harold Land who played with him during his short but brilliant career,

Clifford Brown was a very beautiful person.He had a very warm personality and usually seemed so relaxed it me relaxed to be around him.In my opinion Brownie had a very even temperament,if that's the best way to describe it,and kind of wisdom or knowledge of himself and those around him,and of life in general,that one associates with someone quite a bit older than he was at the time.And to me these same qualities were evident when he expressed himself through his instrument.I have had more than one talented musicain say to me,referring to Brownie,that he played his instrument like a young old man! And in each instance I'm sure they meant this statement to be an extremely beautiful compliment,that a man so young in years could acquire such command,depth a broad musical scope in what seemed such a relatively short span of time.Playing with the fire and creativeness of a young man and the depth,tenderness,and insight into past,present and future of an older man.

By 1954,the Downbeat critics poll identified him as the new trumpet star.

Sadly,on June 26,1956 Clifford lost his life in a car accident on the Pennsylvania turnpike at the age of Twenty-Five.

He was one in a million and to quote Maggie when she said that there will never be another Mairead Nesbitt,
there will never,ever be another Clifford Brown.

Serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: