Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interpretation of "The Soft Goodbye"  (Read 21873 times)
GatorBait07

« on: November 04, 2007, 10:11AM »

Does anybody know what the song "The Soft Goodbye" is about?  I have listened to it a bunch and it seems as if it could have a hundred different meanings.  Didn't know if anybody knew the truth behind the song.  Thanks
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:46PM »

Over the last 200 years, there have been many Irish songs about emigration and parting from loved ones.
This is because there was so much poverty, famine and unfair laws in Ireland that the only way out was to emigrate, find work, and send for your loved one to join you.

Many young men had that "dream that will not sleep, a burning hope that will not die"
of making it to the Land of Liberty and making a good living, so that his love could join him, or he could maybe go home to visit, and show his family how successful he was.

Most of them had a dream of making enough money to return for their loved ones, or sending for them, but in reality the vast majority never saw them again.

This is only my explanation of the song, I may be wrong:

When the light begins to fade,               {Most of the emigrant ships left in the
And shadows fall across the sea,            {evening,because it would take all day
One bright star in the evening sky,         {to load them. He is looking at a star,
Your love's light leads me on my way.     {reminding him of his love who is left behind.

There's a dream that will not sleep,        {Dreaming of a bright future
A burning hope that will not die.             {He has hope and ambition for his new life.
So I must go now with the wind,            {The early emigrant ships had sails and would
And leave you waiting on the tide.         {sail on the evening high tide. 
                                                               {His love watches and waits on the shore.
Time to fly, time to touch the sky.           {Not literally time to fly, but as the ship leaves
One voice alone - a haunting cry.            {his heart takes flight, and he is aware of his
One song, one star burning bright,          {loneliness. He prays that love will
Let it carry me through darkest night.      {overcome his fears.

Rain comes over the grey hills,                {Thinking of the soft rain and grey hills
And on the air, a soft goodbye.               {of home, and hears his love's goodbye.
Hear the song that I sing to you,            {He is singing to her, hoping she hears
When the time has come to fly.               {it in her heart.

When I leave and take the wing,            {When he gets to his destination far away.
And find the land that fate will bring,       {the bright star of her love will sustain him
The brightest star in the evening sky,      {even though they are apart,
(Is your love far from me)                        {and she will wait for him.
Is your love waiting far for me. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:56PM by Maggie » Logged
Magic~5

CELTIC WOMAN + MUSIC = love for a lifetime!!!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:59PM »

Maggie   

that is probably the best way to describe that song.   I like knowing that history and truth can be a foundation for a song. Besides that,  the tune is a calming style that helps the heart remember.

Magic
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:53PM »

Doesn't that look good?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
GatorBait07

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 04:53PM »

That makes sense.  I was thought it was a song about losing a loved one such as by someone passing away.  But your interpretation seemes to make more sense.  Thanks for the reply.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:17PM »

It sure makes up a memory for one.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:22PM »

Maggie:

That is an absolutely wonderful interpretation of this song. 

I have also thought of it as losing a loved one, knowing that someday you will be re-united.  I played this song a lot right after my father passed away....

Brad T

Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:49PM »

I can think of no other explanation or interpretation for the song. It's perfect, Maggie.

Maggie
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:13PM »

That makes sense.  I was thought it was a song about losing a loved one such as by someone passing away.

Actually, that's not far from reality.......
Ireland up until the last 30 years was a poor country, but with a great standard of education.
The only big industry was agriculture, and racehorses.
The eldest son in each family inherited the farm, so if you were a young man with no farmland, the only option to make a good living was to leave for England or the USA. 

When a family member such as a son, brother or lover, left for the USA, there was little chance of seeing him again. They all said they would be back, or would send for their sweetheart, but very few did.
So when the time came to leave, the family held a wake, just as if the person was dead.
The purpose of a Wake is to say goodbye, to recall all the good qualities of the person, and to pray for him. It's a celebration of his life. 
Remember the number "American Wake" in Riverdance? That's what it was about - an emigrant farewell.

It's also what "Danny Boy" is about....it's a parent saying goodbye to a son as he is about to emigrate.

Also, remember Lisa's words in "At the Ceili".......

All the boys we loved so well
So handsome young and charming
They’re in New York and Boston now
They should be home here farming
‘My own true love has sailed away
To be an endless rover
Cos times are tough and he must leave
To start a new life over

He writes me letters every week
To say how much he’s slaving
And he promises that he’ll be back
Before the hay needs saving

But it’s hard to love somebody
That you’re not in touch with daily
So I’m looking for somebody new
Tonight down at the ceili

kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 01:15PM »

Maggie
I just love the song a Soft Goodbye. Mainly for the three women singing it. Their voices blending so well.

I love that you took the time to tell us your feelings and interpretations of the song. A true gift!

hugs
kathleen

CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 01:30PM »

I think Lynn and Kelly singing those backing parts live is just a wonderful part of the show. It really adds something to the song. Their voices blend beautifully, like in "The Last Rose of Summer."

And to actually be on topic, nice interpretation, Maggie. I figured it was something like that, even though it also does sound like a death. And, as you explained, in Ireland during bad times, going away and dying weren't so different. If your loved one went overseas and you knew you'd never see them again.... you'd grieve just as if you'd lost them.

Chris

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 12:42PM »

Maggie,

I think your interpretation is right on the mark. It is a hauntingly beautiful song.

Chris,
I agree that Chloe and Lynn's voices blend wonderfully together - as back-up on that song and as a duet in "Last Rose of Summer".

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
KiernanKate
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 12:53PM »

I've been reading this thread since it began but didn't want to post...... until now.

This whole thread is making me think of a song that Anuna has performed about immigration called, A Stor Mo Chroi.  (A Store Ma Cree is how I think it's pronounced... could be wrong).

Immigration is a dreadful thing no matter what, but it can also,years later, be a very good thing.

I have heritage in Wales,Germany,Sweden, Britain, France, and Ireland.... and if it hadn't been for immigration I don't think I would be here, and even if I was........ I most likely wouldn't be Canadian, and I love my home country..... even if I do complain about the cold a lot.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 03:34PM »

It can provide a tribute when it's heard.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
poohbear
Honorary Roadie

funcle

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 10:17AM »

Beautiful post and interpretation a always Maggie.

This is going off topic ..but that has never stopped me before. Tongue

I always thought Danny Boy was about a son going off to war, not just emigrating  Am I totally wrong??
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: