Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slane concert stage a Celtic Cross?  (Read 7819 times)
Moscapoet
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:18PM »

This was brought to my attention by another forum member and I frankly didn't notice this. Did anyone else get a good look at the stage? Was it shaped like a Celtic Cross? It would seem like something they would do , and be perfectly appropriate. I just don't remember seeing it.
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58PM »

I did notice that it was in the shape of a cross. And it does look like a celtic cross.

Thanks Lindsey
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:08PM »

Moscapoet,  Thanks for posting the question Smiley
Craig
Charlie Brock

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:20PM »

The attached photo I took doesn't clearly show the Celtic cross you mention, but the screen shot from the video, and the drawing in the extras, may illustrate your observation.
The multi level areas are much wider (front to back), than the head or top of the stage. I sat front center and didn't notice the cross. The steps or runway in the back toward the castle
did not help shape the cross design, but the three arms that were band and orchestra tiers, and the 1/4 circle fountains in the front were certainly a similarity to the Celtic design.
I think there's a fly over shot in the extras also.
Charlie

Dwight

I am Celtic Woman's favorite Dwight!

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:54PM »

Now that you mention it, It does kind of resemble a Celtic cross of sorts. Good obsevation!   Cheesy

Dwight

I am Celtic Woman's favorite Dwight!
Lisa_Kelly_fan_forever
Total Fanatic

FaFo...."Why am I so Caramel Cinamonny?"

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:09PM »

Considering that a Celtic Cross is shaped like this...

...it really is shaped like one.

You can clearly see from CelticFan06's pic that the design is, even if not deliberately, that of a cross.  And you can also see that there is a somewhat circular water area surrounding the middle using Charlie's pic.

Good question, Scott.  I am totally unsure whether they intended to do it this way, but it most certainly appears to be a celtic cross!

Proud to be a FANTIE!!! Grin Grin

A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Grin
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:50PM »

Hi Charlie,
Ok tell us what was like to be there? For those of us who weren't and wanted to be. Are you on the video ? After watching the concert several time. It registered with me the stage design while watching the concert again last night. I was at the Helix for the Christmas Celebration taping the past July. And so was Moscapoet and others on the forum.

Craig
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 10:53PM »

Charlie  you are right of a fly over onthe extras on the video. Thoough not long enough to notice at first.

Craig
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:50AM »

Sometimes, concerts usually don't shape that right like some kind of weird cross or anything. Roll Eyes

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Moscapoet
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:26PM »

Thank you all for the photos and comments. Your observations from the videos and those who attended are very helpful. I'm not the least bit surprised at the resemblance whether intended or not. It reinforces to me and others where this ensemble of gifted people are coming from.
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 12:51PM »

It reinforces to me and others where this ensemble of gifted people are coming from.

Yes, they are very much aware where their extraordinary gifts come from....
and being courteous and well-mannered, they remember to say "Thank You!"
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 04:12PM »

I notice on other buildings in  Italy, England, Hungry, Germany and other Easter Europe countries that have the circle cross that was brought to Ireland centuries ago.
Maggie
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 03:23AM »

I notice on other buildings in  Italy, England, Hungry, Germany and other Easter Europe countries that have the circle cross that was brought to Ireland centuries ago.

Those Celts got around!
They swept across Europe from the East about 1,000 years BC, and reached Brittany, Scotland, Cornwall, Wales, the Isle of Man, and Ireland.
When the Romans spread throughout Europe adding to their Empire, the Celts were the last line of resistance, and were just too much trouble for the Romans. Hadrian built his famous wall and forts across the England/Scotland border to keep the fierce Celts contained.
You can still see Hadrian's wall and walk along it as I have done many times.
That is one of the most spectacular parts of England, also the coldest, and the most unspoiled.

www.hadrianswallcountry.org/wall.asp

Then came the conversion of the Celts to Christianity around the 4th Century AD.
Irish Monks then took Christianity to the rest of Europe, establishing many monasteries, and teaching their art including the Celtic Cross.
Legend has it that Saint Patrick first drew the circle around the center of the cross, to indicate eternity, and the endless love of God.
Here is one outside Ireland with which I am very familiar......it is the grave of Saint Caedmon, in the Churchyard at Whitby, England. He was a monk and poet at the nearby Whitby Abbey in the 7th Century.

I don't think the stage at Slane was intentionally a Celtic Cross, just maybe one of those strange "coincidences".......
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:25AM by Maggie » Logged
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 01:44PM »

Thanks  Maggie , though stage design at Slane was on purpose designed and discussed by the production and design personnel. Alot of bands and theater shows for instance have production companies that do the designs and art.
Charlie Brock

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 09:27PM »

Hey Craig,
I remember you at the Helix...Wonderful experience!
Whether by accident or otherwise.....Devine acts ("A New Journey"), often incur devine intervention. People with grace and goodness in they're hearts, give and receive many suttle and obvious signs we can't always explain.
The fact that you are willing to share your observations with your fellow forum members, and take a chance that it may be subjective, is quite welcome and honorable. It's obvious that your heart is good..
Charlie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: