Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Songs for Chloe  (Read 32567 times)
Celeste

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 09:28AM »

She would be able to record this too in what language?

Why, Italian, of course -- a language in which Chloe in adept at singing, as we all know.  Smiley

Western_Rose
Total Fanatic

A Dark Haired Girl

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 09:56AM »

Yes I agree its better to sing them in there original Language, besides I think its funner to sing in a different Language (well for me it is)

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth" Psalm 100:1
Celeste

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17PM »

Speaking of languages,  I threw in two German-language songs among my suggestions because I would love to hear Chloe sing in opera's "second langauge" (after Italian), which is German.

The "Vilja-Lied" from The Merry Widow is a very well-known tune. But fans might not be as familiar with the other German-language suggestion, Johann Strauss's "Frühlingsstimmen," or "Voices of Spring."

For those who aren't, here's a video of an absolutely ravishing performance of "Frühlingsstimmen" sung by soprano Kathleen Battle in the 1987 New Year's Eve concert in Vienna, with the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by the legendary maestro Herbert von Karajan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0XSkb7TyM

"Voices of Spring" was actually the very first song that I thought of, when the question of "What songs would you like Chloe to sing?" was first asked, on the Chloe forum -- and it's primarily because I had the enchanting performance in the above video in mind.

If you hear it, I think you'll agree that it's an ideal Chloe song. It's youthful, with many "fun" touches, but also very melodic.

Plus, the soprano is dressed in a very Celtic-Woman-ish gown, isn't she? Chloe would look lovely in such a dress.

Also, Kathleen Battle is known for having a lyrical soprano sound, like Chloe's, not a more "bellowing" voice, so I think the performance gives a good idea of just how magical this song would be, if performed by Chloe in a CW concert.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:40PM by Celeste » Logged

Western_Rose
Total Fanatic

A Dark Haired Girl

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 08:44PM »

Thats a very Pretty Song! I looked up the Madame Butterfly Opera your right it is Very sad  Sad oh well I can just quote Bugs Bunny "Its Opera what'd you expect? A Happy Ending?"

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth" Psalm 100:1
Albertan

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 05:41AM »

The "Vilja-Lied" from The Merry Widow is a very well-known tune (and is often simply referred to as the "Merry Widow Waltz").

"Vilja" is FROM "The Merry Widow" operetta, but it is not THE song that is recognized as "The Merry Widow Waltz". I have some recordings (in German) of TMW and there is one version of "Vilja" that is particularly impressive. It ends on an extremely high note (sorry, I'm not musical enough to be able to tell you what it is), preceded by a sort of "grace note" on the same note. The net effect is that it sounds like a break in the final note. Many singers that I have heard do "Vilja" will cheat on the grace note and only sing the final note. Some singers don't even have the chops to hit the high note, and instead opt for a lower ending.

Actually, I would LOVE to hear Méav sing "Vilja". She has such a powerful voice in the upper registers and can nail intervals with icy precision. One of her songs that illustrates this -- and one I love to listen to -- is "Solveig's Song" from her "Méav" CD.  Cool

There are some nice harmonies in THE Merry Widow Waltz (which is usually sung as a male-female duet); I think it would make a lovely ensemble number for CW.

Gordon
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 06:08AM »

"Vilja" is FROM "The Merry Widow" operetta, but it is not THE song that is recognized as "The Merry Widow Waltz".
True.  The best known songs from the score are "Vilja", "You'll Find Me at Maxim's", and "The Merry Widow Waltz".

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Albertan

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 07:48PM »

Besides, I believe that Vilja is in a slow 4/4 tempo -- which kind of makes waltzing difficult.   Wink

But, on the other hand, my favorite classical waltz, Strauss' "Emperor Waltz", begins (in the full version) with about two minutes' worth of MARCH introduction. Go figure....  Huh

Gordon
Celeste

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 01:06PM »

Who is it going to be when she performs it?

I finally have an answer for this.

Kimberly's question was, Who would perform the part of the Phantom of the Opera opposite Chloe, if Chloe were singing the role of Christine Daae? I have an answer: Josh Groban.

Mr. Groban joined Sarah Brightman in performing a duet from Phantom at the Tribute to Diana concert this weekend. They sang "All I Ask of You" -- and while that is a Raoul song rather than a Phantom song from The Phantom of the Opera, Groban did such a marvellous job that I think he would make an ideal Phantom opposite Chloe.

He would be closer in age to Chloe than other singers who are known for performing the Phantom, and yet sufficiently older to capture the father/mentor dynamic of the character.

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 02:05PM »

Really? I hope they can do the performance of the song you mentioned.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Scott

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 10:36AM »

I would love to hear Chloe sing "Amazing Grace" or "Unchained Melody"  Smiley

chickie.monkey
Total Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 06:45AM »

Pie Jesu! Pie Jesu! Pie Jesu!!!!!! *jumping up and down*

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 03:45PM »

"On My Own" from Les Miserables.  Such an amazingly sad and powerful song. 

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 03:53PM »

I think she would do a good job on it, but thats one I would like to hear Lisa sing.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
Celeste

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 05:28PM »

I think she would do a good job on it, but thats one I would like to hear Lisa sing.

I would rather hear Chloe sing it.

chickie.monkey
Total Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 05:42PM »

I think either one would sound good.  maybe together?  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: