Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: County Wicklow  (Read 5839 times)
Artist1

« on: November 19, 2007, 09:46PM »

I love the powerscourt waterfall near Enniskerry. There should be a song in there somewhere. The Wicklow mountairns are so beautiful.

Maggie
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:25AM »

I love the powerscourt waterfall near Enniskerry. There should be a song in there somewhere. The Wicklow mountairns are so beautiful.

Yes it's a lovely area.
Have you seen Chloë's DVD "Walking in the air"? That really shows it off beautifully.

This DVD was issued to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the institution of Wicklow as a County:

It celebrates 400 years of Wicklow Songs.
Here is a piece by Mattie Lennon, the man who put it together:

Dublin, IRELAND - County Wicklow inspired John Millington Synge, gave refuge to freedom fighters, welcomed lovers to it's hills and valleys and continues to provide tranquillity, peace and relaxation for its many visitors.

The loves, battles, disputes and matches of the Garden County have been commemorated in songs (some almost forgotten), which have long been part of the oral tradition of mountain men and mountain women.

Yes, yes, I know. You knew that already. Well, about a year ago I came up with a mad idea. You knew that as well because you know that I'm always coming up with mad ideas. As smart as you are, I'll bet you don't know what it was. Well I'll tell you.

Wicklow was the last county in Ireland to be instituted, 400 years ago. And on the four-hundredth anniversary of the foundation of our beautiful County I hit on the idea of making a DVD to remember, honour and preserve some of its precious stories and legends as told through its ballads.

I put the idea to Julie Phibbs, Director of West Wicklow Films, who seemed to think that it wasn't all that mad. For months her team hauled cameras, tripods and a lot of expertise through the briars, ferns and rocks of County Wicklow.

The result is 57 minutes of footage, which -- along with old photos and sketches -- depicts some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

Here is the history of Powerscourt House and Estate:

http://www.powerscourt.ie/gardens/house/history.htm
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:41PM »

I remember the place of location filmed in the DVD I got.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Artist1

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:07PM »

I thank ye Maggie me darlin, sure tis a beautiful place for sure. I really appreciate it Maggie all kidding aside just a bit of the brouge from this poor soul. I'll definitely make it a stop when I go to Ireland.

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:59PM »

Powerscourts Gardens is pretty place as all of Ireland. I have some pics from there posted on Chole's links on here.
Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: