Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Visit to New Zealand  (Read 10470 times)
zicom

« on: April 26, 2007, 11:53PM »

I arrived in Wellington, New Zealand, during the winter month of June. A large contingent of young Americans, aged 17 to 22 accompied me. Relations between New Zealanders, and Americans were most friendly. We found that the Government had provided living, training, and recreational facilites located in the northern suburbs of the city, for use during our brief stay.

It is doubtful if anyone ever received a warmer, and more sincerely friendly, welcome than our group. As often as we could we responded to weekend invitations to dine or have tea with residents of the area. The friendship was not one-sided; we immediately liked the New Zealanders and quickly adapted to the local customs. After a six week stay, it was time to depart for our next destination, a thousand miles to the north.

I left a few details out of the above, such as the year (1942). The training facility (Camp Paekakariki ). The young Americans (United States Marines). Our next destination, the Solomon Islands, Tulagi, Gavutu and Guadalcanal.

Never did get back to New Zealand, but retain fond memories of a friendly and hospitable people.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:36AM »

zicom

Thank you for serving. My cousin was in the 1st Marines at Pelilu (I think 1st or 2nd landing) Now living in Houston.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42PM »

zicom, that must have been a welcome R & R away from heck.
Thank you for your service.

Of all the places I have never been, I would love to visit New Zealand.

My brother went there when he was in the RAF. He said it reminded him of Ireland.

A very good friend of mine lives there, at Mangere Bridge, we were friends through school and college, then lost touch.
We found each other again on the internet, and had a joyful reunion in Yorkshire in 2002.
We had not seen each other for almost 40 years, so now we are staying in touch!

Semper Fi!
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:29PM »

My cousin lives moved to Hamilton after she and her husband retired from school teaching in Hong Kong. (Before it went back to China)

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
zicom

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:14PM »

Thank you Maggie and Jim,
I hesitated in posting that little narrative about New Zealand. However, Hayley Westenra's Celtic Woman performances and unassuming demeanor reminded me of day's gone bye and the friendliness of New Zealanders in general.

In addition, you do not need an abacus to realize that the writer is no
spring chicken and probably qualifies as one of CW Forum's senior citizen's.
A note on Peleliu, I was not there but it was a horrible place with extremely high Marine casualities.

Thank's again
zicom

PS: Just returned from JFK New York airport , after seeing two family members off to Ireland via Aer Lingus . Am tracking the plane via computer. They are now 39000 ft in the air in the middle of the Atlantic.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:52PM »

Zicom,

I know my cousin's age and I know how old he was when he joined the Corps so I can figure it out. And from what I hear the Canal was no cake walk either. Glad you made it home.

I knew a lot of Marines when I was  in Nam

Jim

Father of a disabled Marine

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 06:29PM »

Zicom,
I know my cousin's age and I know how old he was when he joined the Corps so I can figure it out. And from what I hear the Canal was no cake walk either. Glad you made it home.
I knew a lot of Marines when I was  in Nam.  Jim, Father of a disabled Marine

Zicom & Jim,

My husband's life was saved by Marines when he was wounded in Nam.
Others were killed in the same firefight.
God Bless them all.

My dear father-in-law (RIP) was on an aircraft carrier in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, when they took a hit from a kamikaze.
We did not know until we went to his ship's reunion after his death, that he saved lives that day. His crew told us they regarded him as a hero.

From every generation, the USA keeps on producing men like these.

Jim, give your son our deepest respect and gratitude. Semper Fi!

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 06:32PM »

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: