Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Chevy van  (Read 22142 times)
mainopsman

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 08:31AM »

I remember my grandfather having a shalalee that was given to him by an Irish friend.  The hardest piece of wood I have ever seen.   A robber hit on the head with one would be a lot the worse for wear.   Can you imagine what you could do to a driver's car if you got out at the traffic light and used it???

JIM

Dedicate some of your life to others.  Your dedication will not be a sacrifice.  It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end.   Dr. Thomas Dooley
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 12:37PM »

Comet, Maggie

Be glad you don't live in Arizona. (Besides the heat). Concealed Weapons are allowed with a permit. When I moved here from California in 1973 most pickups had gun racks in the back window, complete with a rifle. Now the racks are gone since too many trucks were broken into.

I have yet to figure out how to conceal a sword since we don't wear long coats, or even short ones most of the year.

Now a question. Just curious, but how far is Dublin from Banteer? I know Ireland is a wee bit smaller than Arizona.

Ireland 32,591 Miles (84, 412km)

Arizona 113,998 Miles (295,254 km) Maricopa County 9203 miles (23891Km )

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 12:48PM »

Jim, Banteer is about 35 miles from Cork and 150 miles from Dublin.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 01:06PM »

I remember my grandfather having a shalalee that was given to him by an Irish friend.  The hardest piece of wood I have ever seen.   A robber hit on the head with one would be a lot the worse for wear.   Can you imagine what you could do to a driver's car if you got out at the traffic light and used it??? JIM

That's a shillelagh, (Sail-Éille in Irish) named after the Shillelagh Forest in County Wicklow where strong dark oak trees grew.

It was known as a weapon, used in an early form of Irish martial arts.

However, it wouldn't work in present-day Orlando against road-rage. Even the hardest wood is no match for a bullet.

And a Dubliner's greatest weapon is his wit!
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 01:27PM »

Thanks Rich.

Someday I hope to get to the family stomping grounds.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: