Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irish Politics  (Read 17349 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: April 29, 2007, 10:53AM »

Does anyone here follow Irish politics closely?  I noted in the news that Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has called a parliamentary election for May 24, and opinion polls are saying it's going to be a tough campaign.  Comments or opinions, anybody?  Maggie?  Wink

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:44PM »

Yes Rich, I follow Irish Politics, which has always been an interesting spectator sport!

I won't go into Irish History here, anyone can do their own research on that, but PLEASE go to an Irish site. I have seen so many inaccuracies on the internet it's not funny.

If you want to know about the structure of Government, go here and click on the links:
www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=164&docID=-1

Basically there are two main political parties - Fianna Fáil (pronounced fee-anna-foyle) and Fine Gael. (fee-nay-gale)
Head of State is the President, elected by the people every 7 years, who is also Supreme Commander of the Defense Forces.
Mary McAleese is the incumbent.
She is very popular and arrives today for a Tour of New York and Georgia, to strengthen ties with the Irish-American community.
Head of the Government is the Taoiseach (pronounced tee-shuck) Prime Minister.   
The present Taoiseach is Bertie Ahern, of Fianna Fáil, who is trying for his third term in office in the General Election on May 24th this year.

He has been a popular and successful Taoiseach, and has won praise at home and abroad for his part in the Northern Ireland Peace Process, and also for the "Celtic Tiger" economy.

There have been several instances of corruption in previous administrations, and he has managed to steer clear of involvement in any major scandals.

He can serve one more term as Taoiseach, however, many Irish seem to think it is time for a change.
In the latest polls, Fianna Fáil is only 3 points ahead of Fine Gael.

Bertie's my man.

I think he still has enough popularity, and friends in high places, to stay in office.

I also think there will be a feeling of "Better the devil we know than one we don't".

Still, this is politics, and nothing would surprise me.....anything could happen.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:47PM by Maggie » Logged
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:51PM »

Thanks, Maggie.  I knew you'd have some fascinating tidbits to share.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:53PM »

Rich, do you have a laptop on which you can watch the DVD "The Wind that Shakes the Barley"?
We have a "zone 2" (global) DVD from Ireland, which can not be shown on a zone 1 player.

You really should see it......superb movie......

I would like to know your opinion of it.

www.thewindthatshakesthebarley.co.uk
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:06PM »

Rich, do you have a laptop on which you can watch the DVD "The Wind that Shakes the Barley"?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.  And I'd really like to see that movie!

Maggie
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 02:17AM »

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.  And I'd really like to see that movie!

I'll send you it.
I went through a whole box of Kleenex while watching that movie.......I don't expect you to get emotional, but it gives an insight into Irish History and the labor pains of the Irish Republic.
Plus it is very close to home for my family.

What sparked two hundred years of rebellion in Ireland, and especially that of 1798, was the success of the American Revolution.
The difference was simply - numbers, and arms. We did not have enough of either.
But eventually, persistence and determination triumphed.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:46PM »

Maggie, just how does Sinn Fein figure into the politics?

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:59PM »

Maggie, just how does Sinn Fein figure into the politics?

Jim

Have ye got an hour or two?  Cheesy

I'll explain the TRUE story, not the BS. Later....
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 02:07PM »

Does the name Healey George Gavan Duffy mean anything to you? My cousin wrote a disertation on him for part fulfilment of the regulations for the MA degree in Irish Studies.
Bath Spa University College.

That was intersting reading.

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 02:43PM »

Does the name Healey George Gavan Duffy mean anything to you? My cousin wrote a disertation on him for part fulfilment of the regulations for the MA degree in Irish Studies.
Bath Spa University College.
That was intersting reading. Jim

Do you mean George Gavan Duffy the British Lawyer who defended several of the Rebel Leaders of the Easter Rising?
He was so affected by it, he moved to Dublin and became part of the solution.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 03:00PM »

That's the guy. or the Duffy . My cousin is a retired British Judge who was born and raised in Banteer. When he was writing the disertation, he sent me a copy of it.

Apparently Duffy had dealings with a guy named Healy and since that is also a family name I asked about it. Found out that the guy was on the other side of the county and was not a family member..

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 03:35PM »

I don't know about his family background, except he was born in England, but the name "Gavan Duffy" indicates there was already Irish blood in his veins.......

He was best known at the time for defending (unsuccessfully) Sir Roger Casement.
Casement was born in Dublin, but was in the British Diplomatic Service until he resigned in 1913. (Ireland of course was a British Province at the time).
A year later he joined the Irish Revolutionaries.
The ironic thing was the leaders of the Rising deliberately kept him in the dark because of his British service, and he did not even know about the Rising until it was under way.

However, the Brits were baying for his blood as a "traitor" and a knight of the realm.
They got it.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 03:53PM »

there sure is a lot of history of Ireland that we are not aware of here in the states.

Thank for your input.

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Sorgi

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 07:25AM »

"What sparked two hundred years of rebellion in Ireland, and especially that of 1798, was the success of the American Revolution.
The difference was simply - numbers, and arms. We did not have enough of either"

Not to mention proximity.  It's much easier to supply troops and supplies in Ireland than having to haul em all the way to North America.

-Dan

Sorgi

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 07:43AM »

I came across this from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6618911.stm

Does this have a similar effect on Irish politics that we get here?  People loosing their heads over it?  Here we can't do anything without tripping over the general issue an once that happens we split into Pro and anti camps with another portion of the population that just wants to bash both sides heads together so they will shut up.

Ok forget the popular issue, what about the travel ban?

-Dan

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: