Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancestors, hmm?  (Read 61037 times)
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« on: May 06, 2007, 07:06AM »

You know, pals, I have some of my ancestors which is on my daddy's side. They lived a long time ago before we were born. Has anyone got ancestors on his/her parents' sides?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:55AM »

Well Kimberly, we all have ancestors but some of us may not know who they were, or where they were from.

I know all of mine, back several hundred years, because they stayed in Ireland.

However, my husband was adopted, so we don't know who his ancestors were.
All we know is his mother was from Wales, and his father was from the USA.

Texas Chava

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:19AM »

Yes Kaj, like it or not, we all have ancestors.  My four grandparents all came from Latvia, which at the time they came was Russia.

My husband can trace his roots here in the US to the early 1800's.  We started doing research a few years ago on his family.  His mother's family came from Ireland and his dad's family we can trace directly to the Orkney Islands off the north coast of Scotland.  I even ordered a catalogue from Ortak, a jewler in the Orkney Islands and it had a thank you note from a sales lady with the same last name as my husband...one that is very common in the Orkney Islands.  Of course, I emailed her back!

Tracing ancestors is fascinating.

Banner by Scott
Nero Angelo
Honorary Roadie

You will not forget this devil's power!

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:20AM »

According to my father (a genealogist in his spare time), some of my ancestors came in on the Mayflower.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:39AM »

Oh, yeah.  We all have ancestors.  Mine came from England around 1630, but our family was originally Norman Celts who fought on William's side at the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Fiddle_Addict

Honorary member of the DSA

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:50AM »

My mother can trace her ancestors back to the 1650's, they originally came from Sweden to Northern Germany during the Thirty Years' War.

My father was adopted, so we know nothing about his parents and ancestors.

Thanks for this banner, Scott! Smiley

fireyred09
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 04:16PM »

My Mom's Grandmother came from Czechoslovakia, and lived in New Prague, Minnesota, where my grandmother was born. My mother has done extensive research on our family history, but hasn't shared as much as I'd like with me. I'll ask her about it some time!

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 07:01PM »

On my mothers mothers side, We can trace back to th e1800s in Holland and germany. My mothers father was from Banteer ireland. I know the date, the name of the ship and even have a copy of the manifest showing his name.

My Dad's family can be traced to the mid 1700's including their service in the Army to win frredom and keep it.

Naturally I don't know all of them since I wasn't born yet<g> but we do have the family tree.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Courtland

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 08:35PM »

My mother's father was Courtland Beecher Stone, cousin to Henry Ward Beecher and his sister Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Watching Máiréad play always moves me to tears. She is a gift from Heaven.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 01:21AM »

My mother has done extensive research on our family history, but hasn't shared as much as I'd like with me. I'll ask her about it some time!

My Mom was also somewhat secretive about her Dad's history and stated something like its best to leave some things unknown and in the past. Plus I am unsure of what to believe from various family members who speak about it. People obviously try to frame things in a positive way regarding their family. He was said to be a great violin player though. But I get the impression my Grandfather either did something wrong or made some powerful enemies and came to America to raise his family where he and they were safe.

We found out a little more about my Dad's family because we have some written records that go back plus some other families from the same European area migrated to America together and settled in nearby communities. Most of his family were farmers, some were Cossacks.

Speaking of ancestors and Ukraine, wasn't the first permanent Celtic settlement near the Black Sea in what is today Ukraine?

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05AM »

People obviously try to frame things in a positive way regarding their family.....

You're right about that, Cash! Cheesy

I used to work for a company called Historic Families here in Orlando.
We did scrolls with history of family names etc.

I can not count the hundreds of people who told me " We're descended from Mary Queen of Scots, you know".
I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes and say "Yeah, sure you are".

Yes, the Celts are supposed to have originated somewhere around Ukraine, but nobody knows for sure.
Then they moved into Central Europe.
Then they ended up in Scotland, and the more intelligent among them crossed into Ireland!!! Grin

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 06:00AM »

Then they ended up in Scotland, and the more intelligent among them crossed into Ireland!!! Grin
And they call me a "tad biased"!!

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 06:47AM »

And they call me a "tad biased"!!

Oh? Biased? Moi?

BTW, those name histories were very vague, and I always pointed out that it was only a general history of the NAME, and not of their particular family.
Some of my co-workers, however, were not so truthful.
We had a Scottish guy worked there for a while who was totally shameless.
He would wow the ladies, telling them all kinds of fantasies about how noble their families were. Roll Eyes
I'm sure he was responsible for many of the "Mary, Queen of Scots" stories.

She didn't have many descendants, after all she only had one son, who was homosexual, and when he married out of "Royal duty" 3 of his kids died in infancy and one other died young.

That Scotsman was taken away by immigration officers, and deported over the sea to Skye.

Caite

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:41PM »

I love researching my ancestors. Smiley
My family and I have gotten back to the 1400's on my Mom's side. Good ol' Princess Anne of Parma Austria (now Italy). She ran away and married an Italian peasant. Then there are the Swedes, and English. Wink
On my dad's side we only ever finished finding all the clan members (that was enough for me...over 240 families!) of the two clans we belong to: the McKay and Ferguson (Scotland).

I'd love to find out more about everyone in my family though.

<3 Caite
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 10:34PM »

I too love researching the family. My Dad did the ground work by finding them all, but I researched things like battles they were in, people they knew.

I researched a Civil War battle in Murfeesboro Tn and have said it before. I would rather spend another year in Vietnam than 1 day in the Civil War.

I would like to go back and find Robert Fulton (the nephew of my great great great , etc grandfather. Then another one who founded the United Church of Christ in Carversville Pa.that still exists. He was a War of 1812 vet.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: