Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lisa's stage presence  (Read 6516 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« on: February 26, 2008, 07:29AM »

Is Lisa David's favorite singer?

I was watching the Christmas DVD last night and it occured to me (duh) that Lisa is teh only one who gets to sing a solo standing by David's piano. They all have solo's but Lisa is set apart.

Our Pixie Fiddler has her fiddle and Orla has her harp, but Lisa has David and his piano.

Just curious. (That's what happens with too few hours of sleep.)

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
KatieK
Choir Member

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:35AM »

i have noticed that too..

Every DVD so far, David has wrote a song for Lisa
1. Send me a song
2. The blessing
3. Green the whole year round

and every DVD she stands by the piano with david
1. Send me a Song
2. the Blessing
3. The christmas song

I have wonder that too..

Simtu

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:47AM »

That is actually quite natural. At least for me she is the best singer of Celtic Woman.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:55AM by Simtu » Logged

KatieK
Choir Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57AM »

That is actually quite natural. At least for me ihe is the best singer of Celtic Woman.  Smiley

Yes I agree with you! Smiley

Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:03AM »

I believe David and Lisa have worked together for in Riverdance, but could be wrong, least I believe that is where they met.

I think Lisa just has a natural voice for piano, and David is using that, since he loves to play piano  Cheesy Wink

KatieK
Choir Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:05AM »

I believe David and Lisa have worked together for in Riverdance, but could be wrong, least I believe that is where they met.

I think Lisa just has a natural voice for piano, and David is using that, since he loves to play piano  Cheesy Wink

yes I think that they did work together.  Lisa said in one of her interviews that she worked very close with David while in Riverdance

Lisa does have a Natural Voice for the Piano Cheesy

Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:17AM »

Lisa has a natural voice for just about anything.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But yeah...I like that David writes songs specifically for Lisa. Send Me a Song is one of my favorites.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:28AM »

I think we are wittnessing   the " ULTIMATE "  Mutual Admiration  example in known music!!  You can tell they both just love those songs and David is playing just for Lisa and Lisa sings just for David.  The rest of us get to enjoy them doing it.  Thank You Both!!!!

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:31AM »

Lisa sings just for David

Don't say that too loud. Rich thinks she just sings for him. Grin

But

I know she sings just for me.

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36AM »

This is hard to describe, but I will try.

To me, on this subject, its not about who has the 'best' voice. They are all very good. But its about the individual characteristics of the ladies and also the image they present. I differentiate Lisa on 2 things with her voice. First, she has a lot of strength in it. She can not only hit and hold high notes, but she does so with authority. Yet its also very feminine. Sometimes when people say strength, thats viewed as bad for some reason when a lady gets labeled as strong. But it works with Lisa.

Think of the reverse with men. If a man is said to have a 'soft' voice, its viewed as a negative by some. But if a guy has a strong yet soft voice, he can produce an excellent sound. For example, I recently read a review for a Carrie Underwood concert. I posted the link in another thread (cant rememebr now which one lol) for a different reason. But I mention it here because of how the reviewer described Carrie's opening act, country star Josh Turner. He described his voice as "deep as a cavern yet soft as butter". Thats a great way to put it, if you know who he is and have heard his stuff.

But Lisa has sort of the same thing. A combo of power and grace. Yes sounds cliche I know, but the way it balances is different from the other ladies. I doubt we would say Chloe or Orla has 'power'. They certainly have great voices, but not the combination of power with quality.

Lisa also has an appearance of being strong, fit, yet feminie. Its sort of the same characteristics as her voice. The visual sort of fits the vocal. Unlike, say, Celine Dion or Christina Agulara or Martina McBride. The visual, petite little ladies, doesnt fit the power and strength of the voice. Thats not necessarily a bad thing though. maybe its even good. I guess its your point of view.

But to do the types of songs on those piano solos, I think you need someone who projects an image thats consistant with the sound. Maybe thats why it works.

Also, one needs to look at the difference between singing with a full band accompanyment and just piano. With the full band, if a vocalist does not have 'power' it can come from one of many other sources : drums, bass, horns maybe, etc. The voice is just one of maybe a dozen sounds in the whole. But with just piano, since piano does NOT always provide 'power' , 'strength' etc, it HAS to come from the voice of the vocalist, since there are only 2 sources of sounds, piano & voice.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:14AM by Cash » Logged

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23AM »

Nicely said Cash. there is another thing. Lisa had some stage training and that comes across by the turn of her head, her walk, stance and teh twinkle in her eye.

Off stage, she has that out going confidence as well
Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:31PM »

I agree-- Lisa has a quality that is beyond discription but I think it's great that we all try VERY hard to do it anyway.  I have said this before, but I KNOW I would love Lisa Kelly if I met her the first time  buying turnips in the local grocery.  Maybe it IS the confidence, but there is an Aura from Lisa that has been nonexistant in any other singer that I have seen-- or heard. For this to be projected from a DVD seems impossible, but, there it is. Someday I hope to meet this wonderful lady but that's not up to me totally. I also hope I am there when Mel and Kelli meet her--- all the drooling, stuttering and pushing and shoving from the three of us would be a classic.  Cheesy   Cheesy

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:40PM »

LOL, I don't know about drooling, stuttering, pushing, and shoving LOL  Mel and I have practiced holding each other up.  I think for me, I just might end up speechless!

I was so happy to be there as Lauren met Meav (or rather, as Meav said, "Hi Lauren" without any sort of introduction or prodding! Grin)  That was absolutely a highlight!!  It would be incredibly cool to be there when Mel finally, after such patience and deserving it so much, meets Lisa.

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00PM »

Hi Lisa, I am a fan

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:08PM »

Maybe when the time comes (thinking positive here) I'll print that out and just hand it to her.  Cheesy

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: