Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Historic Pubs of Dublin" show on PBS  (Read 7350 times)
dbaldock

« on: March 16, 2008, 11:29PM »

Did anyone else see the "Historic Pubs of Dublin" show on PBS during their beg-a-thon this weekend?  I found it really interesting.

Here's the show description from the KUHT web site:

"Historic Pubs of Dublin takes viewers on an exciting and visually stunning tour of Dublin's most notable historic pubs, as well as the many places of interest that surround them. Pulitzer Prize winning author Frank McCourt serves as your personal tour guide, providing valuable insight into Irish culture and history - and the significance the Irish pub plays in both areas. This program will teach future travelers how to make the most of their visit to Dublin."

Take Care,
David Baldock

"At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies." - P. G. Wodehouse, Uneasy Money
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:57AM »

I mentioned this show and others on "General Discussion", "St. Patrick's Day on PBS".

Pretty interesting despite the interruptions.  I tried to follow the host using Google Earth!!  Grin

Tonight my PBS station is showing the Helix show and the Slane Castle show!!!

Brad T

2B0B

You are in my heart, I'll see you in my dreams.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:31AM »

I saw it the weekend before, Brad and dbaldock. I was impressed!
I saw a place that had a familiar name The Bluelight where musicians hang out and "jam". I wonder how much time Mairead spent in there before she wrote a song of the same name?
I also noticed the footage of Trinity, and all the manuscripts. I believe they said the college started in 1592.
And 800 pubs in Dublin...I'll have to look at jobs in Dublin..if I hit 5 a week, it would only take about 3 years to visit them all! LOL
2B0B

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.    William Blake
How does Mairead hold my Heart in her hands
when she touches bow to strings,
And Orla reach my Soul
when she strokes her harp and sings?  2B0B
Celtic Fiddle Chick
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:58AM »

I saw it last week. I found it to be very interesting and made me want to go to Ireland even more.

Destiny
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:37AM »

Here in Los Angeles it was listed for Sunday for LA and OC and other program with a guys visit back to Ireland/ Dublin areas but shown the High Kings instead Huh
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:12PM »

It was here in Phoenix also. as well as other tours of Ireland. PBS came across with good Irish shows especially with CW and the High Kings.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:43PM »

I watched it last night. It was good. The gentleman narrating it is the author of Angela's Ashes. He was a little cutie. Dry humor and a smile that might show up every so often!

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:23PM »

Then it will be show again I have to keep turning to the station. Knowing when I watch it , I want to be back there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: