Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Our forum Administrator Rich Ropes needs our love and support.  (Read 246572 times)
DeirdreFan
« on: May 02, 2008, 08:05PM »

Dear friends,

I just wanted to write a note to all the friends and forum members of the Celtic Woman community to bring you up to speed on something very serious regarding my dear brother and friend Rich Ropes (Old Fat Guy).  He is allowing me to post this on his behalf because he’s not been feeling very well as many of you may already be aware of.  Rich is the kind of man who appreciates the love and support he’s been shown by his friends and members of this forum, however, he is a humble man who doesn’t like to draw this kind of attention to himself either. So I’m asking that each of you be cognizant in respecting his dignity and time of healing.  I am asking on behalf of Rich and his family that you not inundate him with private messages and emails, but instead allow him to focus his energies on the healing process and the much needed rest he will require.

Rich has been diagnosed with several chronic conditions, more recently with cancer.  As of today he has begun an aggressive chemotherapy regime.  However, his heart is only functioning at 25% and he is also in renal failure.  I do want everyone to know that Rich is in a good place spiritually speaking.  In our regular conversations he has expressed his feeling of peace with the situation. The one thing I do know about Rich is that despite his circumstances, he never stops thinking of others and he always finds a way to look for the bright spot in life rather then focusing on the negative.  It’s one of the many character traits I’ve come to adore and love about this man.  Brian and I are truly blessed to call him our friend, but more so we consider him to be a member of our family.

I know many of you love Rich and consider him your friend too.  Your expressions of love toward him give him great strength.  As a result, Kelli and I are working behind the scenes to facilitate several things on Rich’s behalf.  First and foremost, we want each of you to be able to send Rich your well wishes and words of encouragement, but at the same time not put him in the position to have to spend hours answering private messages, emails and inquiries.   Last month, Kelli and I were kidding around and I put together a “Rich Fest” forum as a token of affection and jest for the purpose of teasing Rich.  He actually saw it for the first time the other day and laughed his butt off because it already had 14 members!  It was initially intended to make him laugh.  However, we are realizing that it may have an even bigger purpose… a place for his friends to post their messages and well wishes to Rich.   This would work out well because Rich can go on his forum at his convenience on the days where he feels up to it, and can read your messages and post when and if he is able to do so.   I also will keep members informed as to changes in his condition.

Additionally, Kelli, Brian and I, along with Deirdre Shannon are working together to organize a fund raiser in support of Rich.  Currently, he is not working and expenses are piling up.  He would never ask for anything from anyone because it’s just not his way, so as his friends we are doing this on his behalf.  There are many details to work out still, but if you check back frequently, we will make those details available to you in the next week or two.  We will be coming out to the Celtic Woman community as well as to the community of Deirdre Shannon and Meav and all former members of Celtic Woman.  

Again, we ask that you not bury him with emails and messages as he is feeling very weak and tried from the chemotherapy and is in much need of rest.  If you have questions or comments that you would rather not post, or you would like to contribute time or resources to the fund raiser, please email me directly at: jenny.fedei@gmail.com.  I told Rich tonight that I would pass on well wishes to him from any emails that I receive in a weekly report so that he can read them all at once.  Not to say that he won’t be posting on the forum or communicating with anyone, however, it will have to be on those days when he’s feeling up to par. Additionally, I talk with Rich at least every other day on the phone and would be happy to pass along any information to him.  I have no doubt he will come out to chat as his health dictates because I know he cares for each and every one of you as well as for the lovely ladies that you all come here to support each day.

Please keep our dear Rich in your prayers or thoughts and don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions or comments.  

For now, please be sure to bookmark this page and join Rich’s forum so that you can be apprised of any new information.

http://www.takeforum.com/richfest/

Thank you for your love and support.

Much love,
Jenny Fedei

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:38AM by OldFatGuy » Logged
CRRopes
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:24PM »

Thank you, Jenny. I've been keeping some of the people I talk to on a regular basis up to date on the situation, but getting it out in the open is good.

His attitude is really positive. Especially since the sweat lodge. I won't go into the details, but he really underwent a dramatic change after that day. He seems to be feeling much more confident about his decision to take this thing on.

Jenny will definitely take good care of any messages sent her way. She'll make sure he gets them when he feels up to it. I do appreciate her request not to inundate him with PMs and e-mails. I'm often in the chatroom and I try to answer questions as best I can, but I only know what he knows and right now that's not much.

I'm going to be taking the summer off from school to try to take care of his needs, such as driving to doctors' appointments, shopping, etc. I think that's the best arrangement I can think of right now.

And thank you also for the fundraising efforts. That's very kind and generous. Any help I can give, just ask. There is no shame in accepting help from one's friends and family.

Thank you all for the support I know you will show my dad and the rest of the family in the upcoming weeks/months. It will be a hard time for everyone, but there is reason to be hopeful. Chemo can put this kind of cancer into remission and people can live for years and years after the initial diagnosis. Also, any prayers and general "good vibes" are welcomed. We're a strange family, spiritually.... but we respect the beliefs of others and know that whether it be prayers or just wishing us well, it comes from a sincere and loving place in the heart. Thank you again.

Chris

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:33PM »

Thanks Jenny. He does deserve the forum and our prayers.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
DeirdreFan
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:35PM »

Dear Chris... we are here for you too!! -- I love you..

Auntie Boomer

Thank you, Jenny. I've been keeping some of the people I talk to on a regular basis up to date on the situation, but getting it out in the open is good.

His attitude is really positive. Especially since the sweat lodge. I won't go into the details, but he really underwent a dramatic change after that day. He seems to be feeling much more confident about his decision to take this thing on.

Jenny will definitely take good care of any messages sent her way. She'll make sure he gets them when he feels up to it. I do appreciate her request not to inundate him with PMs and e-mails. I'm often in the chatroom and I try to answer questions as best I can, but I only know what he knows and right now that's not much.

I'm going to be taking the summer off from school to try to take care of his needs, such as driving to doctors' appointments, shopping, etc. I think that's the best arrangement I can think of right now.

And thank you also for the fundraising efforts. That's very kind and generous. Any help I can give, just ask. There is no shame in accepting help from one's friends and family.

Thank you all for the support I know you will show my dad and the rest of the family in the upcoming weeks/months. It will be a hard time for everyone, but there is reason to be hopeful. Chemo can put this kind of cancer into remission and people can live for years and years after the initial diagnosis. Also, any prayers and general "good vibes" are welcomed. We're a strange family, spiritually.... but we respect the beliefs of others and know that whether it be prayers or just wishing us well, it comes from a sincere and loving place in the heart. Thank you again.

Chris

DeirdreFan
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:38PM »

By the way... the particular type of cancer that Rich has is called "Multiple Myeloma".. which is cancer of the cells.  Here's a website that explains more:
http://www.multiplemyeloma.org/

Jenny x
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:45PM by Jenny » Logged
CRRopes
Total Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:42PM »

Dear Chris... we are here for you too!! -- I love you..

Auntie Boomer

Auntie Boomer Smiley

Thank you. I love you too. You've done so much for us. I know people are there for me. I've taken advantage of that fact many times. I've met some really good friends and extended family through my dad and this place.... I have people I can truly count on. You're one of 'em.

Chris

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:27PM »

Chris,

If Rich has not already looked into it, Multiple myeloma is one of the Agent Orange related illnesses and he maybe eligible for VA disability. All he has to do is prove that he was there by way of a DD214.

Here are the top 4 Agent Orange related cancers. I have done a lot of research on AO, because I also was exposed,sprayed and other wise ingested the stuff thanks to pouring residue into the ground above teh water supply and reconstituing milk in country.

Chloracne , Hodgkin's disease. Multiple myeloma, Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

My brother has been battling Non-Hodgkinson's for the last 8 years.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55PM »

Well, so much for waiting a little while, Jenny  Wink

Thanks for taking the initiative to write this message, Jenny, and I'm so proud of you Chris!  You both are like family to me, along with Rich and a few others.

Jenny and I have tossed around a number of ideas already and would love to hear more.  Feel free to PM me if any of you have more ideas.  Rich has done so much for this Forum and its members...more than ANY of us know...let's say "Thank you!"

See you at Rich's forum!

Love you Rich...

Kelli

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Jack

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 09:58PM »

Jenny,
Thanks for the post and the link to Rich's Forum.  This came as a total surprise and has taken all the air out of my sails.  Let's pray the chemo and treatments do their thing and we'll have Rich around to aggravate for a long time to come.

Jim, my first thought was AO also and I am sure Rich is just as aware.  That whole mess is still haunting us it seems.

Hang in there, Rich.

Jack
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:20PM »

Chris, Eric, Jenny and Brian......

Thank you for sharing this information about Rich's condition.
Thank you Rich for allowing them to share it.

It's time for all of us on the Forum to mobilize and give back to Rich for all he does for us.
We are going to comply with Jenny's request NOT to bombard him with messages and e-mails.
Don't go thinking "Well, he won't mind one from little old me!"
That's the problem, he makes all of us feel special to him. That's the kind of guy he is.
We love him very much, so we will do as he asks. WON'T WE?

We must all pray for him or send positive vibes, thoughts and wishes to him.
We must help him through his treatment so he will be back to full strength.

We can do this! CAN'T WE?

DeirdreFan
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 10:23PM »

Thanks Maggie! -- You're awesome!!!

Love, Jenny x
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 10:35PM »

Sorry to say that I joined! Cheesy Ya can't get rid of Trouble that easy.  Wink

Rich, hang in there! I am thinking of you everyday. 

Jenny, thanks for the update and the forum is awesome! Great job.

Love,

Trouble  Smiley

Thanks Lindsey
CTofer

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 10:55PM »

Thanks for sharing Jenny, and Rich, I am praying for you, my friend (and you too Chris!).

-"Finn" (aka "Chloe", & aka Christopher lol)
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 05:14AM »

Jenny,
Thanks for the post and the link to Rich's Forum.  This came as a total surprise and has taken all the air out of my sails.  Let's pray the chemo and treatments do their thing and we'll have Rich around to aggravate for a long time to come.
Jack

Ditto Jack's message.  To Rich and the entire Ropes family....  I was stunned by the news and am shaking still as I write this.  You all are in my most sincere prayers.  I'm quite sure that the 800+ people in this Forum and the 100+ people in Lisa's Forum will be spending a moment or two today and over the next weeks praying that everything will work out just fine.

Brad T

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 05:42AM »

Jenny,
Jack

Ditto Jack's message.  To Rich and the entire Ropes family....  I was stunned by the news and am shaking still as I write this.  You all are in my most sincere prayers.  I'm quite sure that the 800+ people in this Forum and the 100+ people in Lisa's Forum will be spending a moment or two today and over the next weeks praying that everything will work out just fine.

Brad T

I agree with Jack & Brad so I copied their well writen posts . I couldn't say it better.

Chris,

If Rich has not already looked into it, Multiple myeloma is one of the Agent Orange related illnesses and he maybe eligible for VA disability. All he has to do is prove that he was there by way of a DD214.
Another thing to think about is to see a lawyer.

Also, and keep in mind that I am not a licensed lawyer in Florida and that I dont know all the facts, so this is NOT actual legal advice, but...

I wonder what the circumstances were with Rich's employer when his employment status and insurance coverage changed, and if the employer broke any laws when they suddenly changed his status. What was the timing, respective to his health ssues?

I dont expect answers here on the forum, I simply suggest questions to ask, because health care costs can be very high, and if health insurance was improperly removed, a lawyer might be able to help get it back and help out with those costs.

Here in Pa the state provides some free legal advice to senior citizens. If Florida has such a program, it might be worth talking with them just to see what they say, especially if its free.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: