Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Our forum Administrator Rich Ropes needs our love and support.  (Read 247120 times)
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #510 on: July 14, 2009, 05:04PM »

Melissa, you`re much too low key, you really need to show more enthusiasm.....where`s the three cartwheels and a flip? ha..ha... it`s great to see someone appreciate CW .Maybe someday you could get a signed Mairead photo? ....or not.

Haha!!  If I wasnt still healing from torn/strained ligaments (2) in my knee, I just might have done some cartwheels!!!!  Hehehe.

*sigh*  I've accepted the fact that the only way I'll get a Mairead photo is to meet her and ask her sign it myself............  hmmmm, but that might only be if I'm at a M&G that you not!!!!  LOL  Otherwise I'll have to guard it with my LIFE!!!!

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

With Gratitude to Celtic~Fan~73
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #511 on: July 14, 2009, 05:20PM »

I've accepted the fact that the only way I'll get a Mairead photo is to meet her and ask her sign it myself............ 
Watch for the August auctions for Kelli.   Wink

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #512 on: July 14, 2009, 05:25PM »

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH,  Rich!!
Dont let "you-know-who" find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #513 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36PM »

I've accepted the fact that the only way I'll get a Mairead photo is to meet her and ask her sign it myself............ 
                MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!!!...MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!!!

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #514 on: July 14, 2009, 07:08PM »

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT  Shocked

BTW, awesome shirt, Melissa!!! Wooooohoooo!!!  Shocked That's great! I have that shirt...but mine does not have the signatures hahahaha.  Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #515 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13PM »

I have that shirt...but mine does not have the signatures hahahaha.  Grin
What the heck.  I'll sign it.   Grin

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #516 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14PM »

Sounds good! I'll pack it up and ship it off to Jax tomorrow.  Tongue

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #517 on: July 14, 2009, 09:11PM »

MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!!!...MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!!!
UhOh.............Too Late!!!   Wink

Dab gummit.....I knew there was a signature I was missing!!!!!

Thanks, Em!!  I still cant believe it!!  I still get this goofy grin on my face  Cheesy and cant help giggling when I glance at it (which is pretty often bc its hanging in the office/computer room)!!!

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #518 on: July 15, 2009, 03:53AM »

Well Melissa,there`s always the possibility that the next available photo of Mo Mear Mairead might be the one I have already.In that case, no problem.However, if it`s a different pose...well....MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!...MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!..MAIREAD!...MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!...MAIREAD!

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #519 on: July 15, 2009, 01:57PM »

Well Melissa,there`s always the possibility that the next available photo of Mo Mear Mairead might be the one I have already.In that case, no problem.However, if it`s a different pose...well....MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!...MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!..MAIREAD!...MAIREAD!....MAIREAD!...MAIREAD!

Am I smelling a bidding war in the offing??

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #520 on: July 15, 2009, 01:59PM »

Am I smelling a bidding war in the offing??

There was doubt of this?  Wink

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #521 on: July 15, 2009, 02:58PM »

.....more of a skirmish.A signed photo of Mairead that I don`t already have...he...he...he...(diabolical laughter)......MAIREAD...MAIREAD....MAIREAD...MAIREAD...MAIREAD...

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #522 on: August 07, 2009, 11:52AM »

Okay, here’s the latest.  And this will probably be the last update before my clinical trial starts next month.

Myeloma is a very slow killer.  It’s not like being shot or electrocuted; it’s more like an accelerated aging process.  You feel like you’re getting older much faster than you should be.  I have good days and bad, but I don’t notice much difference comparing one day with the one before it.  I have to compare the way I feel today with the way I felt two months ago to see any change, and even then it’s minimal.  I can’t do the things I used to do – even a few months ago.  I’ve always been an avid reader, but now my vision is so blurred I have to have a powerful desk lamp aimed directly at the page to be able to make out the words.  I’ve always loved sketching and drawing, but my vision and unsteady hands don’t permit that any more.  I think the worst part is the physical weakness; my son now has to lift and carry anything heavy that needs to be moved.  That’s distressing, especially for someone who values his independence the way I do.

I have only one fear in life, and that’s the prospect of dying by inches.  I watched both my parents slip away slowly, and I dread putting my family and friends through that anguish.  My brother was the only member of my family who got it right; he died of a cerebral hemorrhage.  So I’m not thrilled at the prospect of dragging this out too long.  Chris has virtually put his life on hold so he can be here if and when I need him, and that hurts me deeply.  The combination of chemotherapy and the disease has left me with a greatly reduced immune system, so I live on amoxicillin and other antibiotics.  As I write this, I’m squirming in my seat from the discomfort of yet another kidney infection.  There are days when I wish a massive infection would set in and put a peaceful end to it all.  But I’m too stubborn, and too much of a fighter, to let that happen.

As I said, myeloma progresses very slowly.  I had a dose of chemo last week, and my blood work results were so good that I don’t need another until October.  The oncologist attributes this to a strong constitution and positive attitude.
On September 8, I will take part in a clinical study program at the Mayo Clinic here in Jacksonville.  The program is run by Dr. Carlo Croce, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics and Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio.  D. Croce believes he has identified the magical “silver bullet” responsible for most cancers and, indeed, many other diseases with roots in genetic dysfunction.  His research centers on “microRNA” (mirNA).  In technical terms:

“Cancer initiation and progression can involve microRNAs (miRNA), which are small noncoding RNAs that can regulate gene expression. Their expression profiles can be used for the classification, diagnosis, and prognosis of human malignancies. Loss or amplification of miRNA genes has been reported in a variety of cancers, and altered patterns of miRNA expression may affect cell cycle and survival programs. Germ-line and somatic mutations in miRNAs or polymorphisms in the mRNAs targeted by miRNAs may also contribute to cancer predisposition and progression. We propose that alterations in miRNA genes play a critical role in the pathophysiology of many, perhaps all, human cancers.”

The entire program will be completed in a single day, and involves a series of ten injections.  I’ll be given a shot, then rest and be very still for an hour, and then receive another shot, and so on, until all ten have been administered.  These injections are supposed to replace the defective miRNA that is causing my disease and, if all goes well, ultimately result in a complete cure.  It will be months before it’s known whether the trial was succeeded or not, so I’ll have to continue a normal treatment regimen while waiting.  Of course, it’s also a “double blind” test, so if I’m in the control group and receive only the placebo, all bets are off.  I won’t know until December which group I was in.

On the same day of the clinical test, they’re also going to draw a bone marrow sample.  I’ve had this done before, and it’s not pleasant.  They insert a long needle into the back of your hip bone and draw out the sample.  It’s impossible to anesthetize bone, so you feel everything they’re doing.  It feels like your hip is being pulled inside out.  It also leaves you extremely uncomfortable for days afterward.  The marrow they extract will be biopsied, to show the actual progress of the disease.  A sample will also be frozen and stored for later use.  In case the mirNA test doesn’t work, the disease will continue to progress, albeit slowly.  At some point, it will morph to Stage II and III.  When that happens, they will perform a procedure they call a stem cell transplant.  That’s really a misnomer, and it doesn’t actually describe what’s done.

When that time comes, they will place me in hospital and administer a massive dose of chemotherapy.  Under uncontrolled conditions, this would be a lethal dose, since it will completely destroy my immune system.  Using the bone marrow they harvested earlier, they will reintroduce my own stem cells back into my body.  These cells will then rebuild the immune system.  This will take some time, and I’ll be kept in a sterile environment until it’s safely completed.  But the result should be an immune system that’s at least 75% restored to normal function.  It’s not a cure – it’s a delaying action, and can only be done once.  But it should extend life expectancy somewhat.

Anyway – that’s where things stand right now.  Sorry if I’ve made your eyes glaze over.  But lots of folks have been asking how I’m doing, so I thought I’d summarize it all in one place.  Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for your prayers and continued support.

Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #523 on: August 07, 2009, 11:57AM »

Thanks for the update Rich. We all love ya and are with you and Chris in spirit if not in body.

(((((((((((((((((((RICH)))))))))))))))))))))))

Old Guy

« Reply #524 on: August 07, 2009, 12:07PM »

Rich, I'm new here and had not seen this thread. Thank you for the update that brought it to my attention.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Keep fighting. A positive attitude is an important part of the treatment. Please know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Gary

They traveled across the angry sea in 1849
With all that they could carry
They traveled sick, they traveled blind
Their home, the starving island, just a photo in their mind
They buried the dead at sea, winter 1849

(1849 by The Elders)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: