Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about CD/DVD sales  (Read 5450 times)
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« on: May 14, 2008, 01:07PM »

I was wondering if anyone knew if they include CD/DVDs sold at concerts and PBS in total sales?  I know that when they are sold at the store they can track them thru the register, but at concerts they hand you them and can't electronically track the sales.  Anyone have any ideas?   

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:09PM »

Sara--- Lynn's has a bar code so I would bet they are being accounted for in total sales. Another thing that makes me think so too is the IRS !!!--- Also- Glad you didn't get blown away the other day!!! Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:11PM »

I the sales from the venues and PBS can be totaled together. Though my guess is though being out of part of the biz for many years. Is that reports will be run from inventory to accounting/ finance. Also from distrubution centers At the shows writing down what amount is sold from each show. Dose this help?? Huh I kept it simple to explain.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:26PM »

I can check their prices.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:31PM »

Nielsen SoundScan is the bible of sales data for the music industry, and the foundation of the Billboard Top 200 albums chart.  Concert venues were just recently added to the system, so those sales are counted now.  Many retailers, however are still not counted, such as Hallmark stores, nontraditional music outlets like Starbucks, Walt Disney theme park gift stores, Burlington Coat Factories, and PBS stations.  It's a pretty inexact science.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:33PM »

Thank you everyone.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:11PM »

Just to add to Old Fat Guy it also computed the from the distrubtion companies. I.e WB, EMI, Sony/BMG, Polygram and Indies as well. I worked for Japanese music import and export company including a brief stint at Band management company, alot of concerts , previous musician and freinds with one of the co-founders of the first cd only label Rykodisc in the mid-80's. And I can help too though of course all changed drastically in the 80- 90's to now. So much info avaliable
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: