Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David's pre-CW efforts ?  (Read 12412 times)
Moscapoet
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:18PM »

Jim and I were looking the other day and found some CDs that a David Downes did quite awhile back. We ordered them out of curiousity and he will send them to me to do a review. The titles of the CDs are "Saltwater", "Pavilion", and "The Rusted Wheel of Things". The comments on them look interesting. He plays a vacuum cleaner?!  Shocked . Obviously not the same David Downes but very interesting anyway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 02:56PM by Moscapoet » Logged
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:39PM »

Actually... that's a different David Downes. Saltwater, Pavilion, and The Rusted Wheel of Things were all put out by a composer named David Downes... but that one was born and raised in New Zealand. That's the one that Wikipedia links to from all things CW.

Our David is Irish through and through, as it says on his website.

NZ David's website: http://www.daviddownes.co.nz
And a picture of him:

Taken from: http://www.trustcds.com/pages/artists/Downes.html

aislin
Moscapoet
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:21AM »

Thanks Aislin. Well, it should be interesting and the price for the items on e-bay was right. It will be curious to hear what the "other" David Downes does.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 02:58PM by Moscapoet » Logged
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:56PM »

It's just the same name I've found, but it's just a different person.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00PM »

I just acquired a 1998 CD by CLANNAD ("LANDMARKS") and David is listed on one track (The Bridge of Tears) as playing the Uillean Pipes.  Nice song.

I also have a PURE CELTIC MOODS CD from 1997/1999 by David Downes and David Agnew.  Very good.
One of the songs is She Moved Thru' The Fair and I'm positive the singer is Meav, though she is not listed in credits.  (No one can sing like her!)
Celtic Prayer is also on the cd -- sounds like Meav, also.
There is also an instrumental version of Caledonia.  Sounds like D. Agnew on oboe and D. Downes on pipes and whistles.  Very nice.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:18PM by Jim M. » Logged
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:55PM »

I just acquired a 1998 CD by CLANNAD ("LANDMARKS") and David is listed on one track (The Bridge of Tears) as playing the Uillean Pipes.  Nice song.

I also have a PURE CELTIC MOODS CD from 1997/1999 by David Downes and David Agnew.  Very good.
One of the songs is She Moved Thru' The Fair and I'm positive the singer is Meav, though she is not listed in credits.  (No one can sing like her!)
There is also an instrumental version of Caledonia.  Sounds like D. Agnew on oboe and D. Downes on pipes and whistles.  Very nice.
  Hey Jim...... You  are certainly right about a couple of things.  Just for fun, I researched the topic- PURE CELTIC MOODS and crossed referenced it with Meav's name and she came up under a discography of every recording that she happens to be in- as the primary vocalist or otherwise.  And  PURE CELTIC MOODS was listed under Meav's name towards the bottom of that list. Just thought I'd mention it. Because the other thing you are most definitely right about, is that no one sings like Meav!   such an utterly gorgeous and distinctive voice!    Smiley

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50PM »

One of the songs is She Moved Thru' The Fair and I'm positive the singer is Meav, though she is not listed in credits.  (No one can sing like her!)
There is also an instrumental version of Caledonia.  Sounds like D. Agnew on oboe and D. Downes on pipes and whistles.  Very nice.
  Hey Jim...... You  are certainly right about a couple of things.  Just for fun, I researched the topic- PURE CELTIC MOODS and crossed referenced it with Meav's name and she came up under a discography of every recording that she happens to be in- as the primary vocalist or otherwise.  And  PURE CELTIC MOODS was listed under Meav's name towards the bottom of that list. Just thought I'd mention it. Because the other thing you are most definitely right about, is that no one sings like Meav!   such an utterly gorgeous and distinctive voice!    Smiley
Celtic prayer is sung by Meav!  It was also on one of her cd's because I downloaded the song on my ipod and it is a really nice song! Smiley

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: