Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Question For Maggie....  (Read 5935 times)
CTofer

« on: June 12, 2008, 04:17PM »

Missuz Maggie,  I thought I read or heard once that irish dancing, in regards to its style, has it's roots possibly in some odd law many, many, many years ago, that said something to the effect that they were not allowed to dance. Supposedly in response to this, they began the practice of dancing indoors without any movement but their lower legs and feet in case someone may happen to be walking by their house and peek in their window.
  Is there any truth to this?
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:24PM »

I heard the rumour when I was a lad that they couldn't TOUCH that's why the hand down at the sides.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:03PM »

I read that use of the hands in dance was considered provocative and too sexy. It was usually not done, but Michael Flatley incorporated arm movements into his work to make things a bit more exciting.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:54PM »

Times changed<g>

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:05AM »

First of all it is important to know the difference between Irish STEP DANCING and SET DANCING.
Step dancing can be done individually or in a line, or in a two,three or four-hand reel.
The hands are held by the side except when linking in the figure dances.

In competition, if they move their arms they are disqualified, except in céilí competitions.
Set dancing is done in figures of 4, 6, 8, or longer lines. The dancers hold hands, and swing holding one hand, with the other hand on the partner's waist.

There are so many stories about why the arms are straight down in step dancing.

If you walked past a house and saw the top half of Irish dancers, it would be obvious they were dancing, so that doesn't fly.

It wouldn't make any sense to ban touching in step dancing, but not in set dancing, which has been around longer! No, I don't think it was the chastity police.
Some of the best dancers I knew were priests and nuns.

Here is a quote:
"The most believable theory, which is supported by many historians of Irish dance, is that the dance masters of the 18th century were responsible. They liked etiquette, and disapproved of the unruly arm movements of Sean Nos dancing. They therefore made their students dance with their arms in a fixed position, holding a stone in the hand to keep them in a fist."

A more practical reason for keeping arms by their side was the size of Irish homes.
The small cabins and cottages often housed large families, and there simply would not be room to fling one's arms around.

Michael Flatley is a Showman, as well as a dancer.
So in Riverdance and his other shows, he and the principal dancers used expressive arm movements, to add some drama.

The following clip is not of the dramatic dance steps of Riverdance, these are the traditional steps required in Competition.
These young ladies are not dancing together,they are being judged individually at the All-Ireland Championships a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC08VEyTGdA&amp;feature=related

Here are young dancers at the fleadh cheoil 2007 doing a set dance:
(we do this one at our céilí)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-CxyXwWvoI&amp;feature=related

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:11AM by Maggie » Logged
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:23PM »

Maggie
Those were great! I was a little worried on that first one...I thought the girls might bump into each other!

Thanks for the link! I enjoyed watching the older girls as well as the younger ones.

That made me think of the time in WPB...you were teaching Sara a few moves! Grin

binti

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 06:49PM »

Maggie, Thanks for those links to the dancing.  I have a question about the competition.  I was surprised to see the girls were not doing the same steps since they were dancing to the same music.  Is it like ice skating competition where each person just has to get certain movements in but can make up their own program.  I, too, thought they were going to bump into each other.  It is great fun watching.

As a person with two left feet who cannot carry a tune in a bucket, I love to watch and listen to those who can dance and sing and I pray God that I might be able to do one or the other in my next life!

Thanks to m.k.c. for this lovely banner
Maggie
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:13AM »

Maggie
Those were great! I was a little worried on that first one...I thought the girls might bump into each other!

Thanks for the link! I enjoyed watching the older girls as well as the younger ones.

That made me think of the time in WPB...you were teaching Sara a few moves! Grin

You're welcome......and if I can get you, Zee and Sara to come to Orlando in September, I'll continue the class....but you all have to join in.
This will be in the privacy of my home, away from the Forum Paparazzi!  Wink

So you can practise before we unleash your talents on an unsuspecting world.....

O'Malley loves to dance and will be glad of the company!
Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:25PM by Maggie » Logged
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:51PM »

Maggie,

Hopefully I'll be able to join in that dance class at some point . . . the taping maybe? Wink

I had a different question.  My voice instructor was talking about a TV show that takes place in Ireland and suggested I check it out some time.  I finally was able to tonight.  It's called "Ballykissangel".  I was wondering what your thoughts about that show are, if you've ever seen it. 

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20AM »

Maggie,
Hopefully I'll be able to join in that dance class at some point . . . the taping maybe? Wink

I had a different question.  My voice instructor was talking about a TV show that takes place in Ireland and suggested I check it out some time.  I finally was able to tonight.  It's called "Ballykissangel".  I was wondering what your thoughts about that show are, if you've ever seen it. 

Ballykissangel was mentioned on here in "Movies about Ireland" pages 7 & 8.
I posted a picture of the Pub too.
Good series..... it was made in Avoca and Enniskerry in 1996/7 and shown here on BBC America and more recently on PBS. You need to start with Series I if you haven't seen it.

They have it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-1273626-6006847?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=Ballykissangel&x=15&y=19

As for the taping of the "CW Forum céilí" you might have to wait a long time....Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

My next big one will be at the IACS "Halfway to Saint Patrick's Day" dinner and dance in September.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: