Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irish food  (Read 20402 times)
Maggie
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 11:28AM »

Dave here -

Hey Kit I told Maggie you were going to Galway in a couple of weeks.

She will be passing through Galway on her way from Mayo to Tipperary on June 15th.
She won't have a lot of time, but says she knows a great place for lunch if you want to meet in Galway or Westport.
Don't e-mail her, if you send her a pm with a contact number I will pass it on.

Re the black/white pudding - yes we have eaten that.
I wouldn't make a habit of it but it doesn't taste bad, has herbs and spices in and tastes like sausage.
You know every time you eat meat you eat blood, unless it's Kosher or Halal.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:30AM by Maggie » Logged
Celtic_Kit

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 11:36AM »

Bummer!! My trip to Ireland is short and I am only there until the 10th. I would love to have met Maggie. I have become a big fan of hers (and yours. You have great posts too). However, if she would I would love to know some good restaurants in Galway as I am on my own for lunch the days I am there.

Thank you so much for filling in for Maggie.  Wink

-Kit
Coleen
Global Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 03:26PM »

o good grief they still make it? When I initially brought it up I was kidding ..... plzzzzz do you have the recipe Coleen?

Here's a photo of what black and white pudding looks like.

I personally have never cooked white/black pudding.  But I believe you just fry or grill it. 

Maggie or Dave, 
Do you know how it's cooked?  Thanks!

Thank you for the lovely banner, Mel.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 03:49PM »

Black pudding:
(White pudding is made without blood, using minced liver instead.)

Ingredients:
1 quarter pint of fresh pig's blood
8 oz. bread cut into cubes
1 quarter pint of skim milk
1 lb. cooked barley
1 lb. fresh beef suet
8 oz. of fine oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. ground black pepper
2 tsp. dried mint

Directions:
Put the bread cubes to soak in the milk in a warm oven. Do not heat the milk beyond blood temperature. Have the blood ready in a large bowl, and pour the warm milk and bread into it. Stir in the cooked barley. Grate the beef suet into the mixture and stir it up with the oatmeal. Season with salt and pepper and mint.

Have ready two or three large roasting pans. Divide the mixture between them. They shouldn't be more than three-quarters full. Bake in a moderate oven (350*F.) for about an hour or until the pudding is well cooked through. This makes a light pudding which will keep well in the refrigerator.

Cut into squares and fry until heated through and the outside is crisp, in bacon fat or butter.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Celtic_Kit

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 06:28PM »

That doesn't even sound good. I will try it while I am there but may have to resort to eggs and toast.  Shocked

-Kit
Maggie
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 10:00AM »

Hi Kit - this is Maggie - I'm back.

What a pity you have to leave before I get there!

This is where I would have taken you:

It is Moran's Oyster Cottage, 15 miles from Galway town.
It is a riverside pub, they serve other food too but the seafood is superb.
Willie Moran is a master at opening oysters, and a great character.
If you get the chance to go there, head south on the N18 to Clarinbridge. After you go through Clarinbridge, take the second right, then you'll see signposts to the Pub. Or ask any of the locals.

If you stay in the city of Galway, there are just too many choices!
I am not one for cities, I prefer to get off the beaten track, and my knowledge of Galway City is out of date. But don't be afraid to ask the locals, NOT the tourists.
And I don't know if you're very young, but don't be afraid to go into a pub for lunch.
Ask the people where you are staying for their recommendations.
I would tell you to go into Westport to Matt Molloys Pub.
He is one of the Chieftains, this is his famous Pub and the music at the weekends is great, of course!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2007, 10:04AM »

[off topic] Maggie - please check your PMs.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: