Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Isle of Man and the Manx language  (Read 72346 times)
Maggie
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:30PM »

I started this subject because of a reference to Manx Gaelic in another topic.

Many people outside Europe do not know this beautiful little island exists, and even fewer know it has it's own unique parliament, laws, currency bills, and it's own language.

The Isle of Man is in the middle of the Irish Sea, less than 60 miles from the West coast of England, and within reach by sea or air from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
How big is the Isle of Man?
It is 33 miles long, 13 miles wide and covers an area of 227 square miles. More than 40% of the Island is uninhabited.

I have visited the Isle of Man several times; I was fascinated to learn that my mother-in-law, who was a young lady from Swampscott, Massachusetts had also visited during WWII. She was enchanted by the island, and found it a peaceful haven after the constant bombardment of London, where she worked for the Red Cross.

Here are a few facts I have put together:

What makes the Isle of Man different from anywhere else in the British Isles?
Many things! The Island is a unique self-governing kingdom - a Crown dependency which belongs to neither the UK nor the European Union.
Through it's own ancient Parliament, Tynwald, the island enjoys a high degree of domestic legislative and political autonomy
Dating back to Viking origins over 1,000 years ago, Tynwald is the oldest legislature in the world in continuous existence. It has two branches: the House of Keys and the Legislative Council.

The Isle of Man has it's own laws, traditions, culture, cuisine and postage stamps. But as a holiday island it is best known for its very agreeable and relaxed pace of life, along with a wealth of attractions and places to stay.
And while other differences include the Manx language and currency (though English is the spoken tongue and English and UK currencies are accepted everywhere), they drive on the left as in the UK, and road signs are in English.

Fascinating fact....
The manx tongue, a form of Gaelic, is a Celtic langauge which was universally spoken until it went into decline in the 18th century. Today it is being revived thanks to the Manx Gaelic Society (Yn Cheshaght Ghailckagh).

Another Fascinating fact...
The Three Legs of Man is the island's symbol of Independence. While there is much local argument about which way the legs run (officially it is clockwise), the symbol's meaning is undisputed:
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit - 'Whichever way you throw me I stand'.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:33PM by Maggie » Logged
Meldy

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:17PM »

Thanks Maggie for the info Wink  Such a small island but with all the amenities  Grin  A "peaceful heaven" I love those kind of places, I'll add the Isle of Man on my "places to go to" list. Wink

Banner by:  Scott
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:05AM »

Just a side note from an inveterate cat-lover......

The Isle of Man is also home to the wonderful, tailless Manx cat, one of the friendliest, most affectionate and relaxed members of the feline family.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 01:48PM »

Yes indeed, the Manx cat is unique.

You might be interested in this:
http://www.isleofman.com/Home/Arts/Humanities/History/Genealogy/NAMA.aspx

Here is the website of Tynwald, the IOM parliament:
www.tynwald.org.im
There is a seating plan of the Tynwald Chamber, love the name of the President! Cheesy

This is the Paliamentary flag:
Sorgi

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:27PM »

Last night I said I knew nothing of Manx, well now I know Smiley

I've heard of the Isle of Man, but knew nothing about it other than the fact it exists.

-Dan

Meldy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 06:57PM »

Ooo a Manx kitty!  I love cats Grin  "affectionate" what my cat lacks Sad

Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:57AM »

It's also home to the actor John Rhys-Davies. 
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:42AM »

And the Bee Gees were born there.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 10:07AM »

Dave here - Mags is away

Great little island - real quiet - we rode in a horse-drawn tram along the waterfront.

The island is famous for the TT motorcycle races.

Also for being an offshore tax haven.

Many corporations are registered there to avoid tax and liability.

If you saw the movie "Waking Ned Divine" it was supposed to be Ireland but was shot in the Isle of Man. Hilarious movie, if you didn't catch it try to get a hold of it.
Sorgi

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 10:13AM »

If you saw the movie "Waking Ned Divine" it was supposed to be Ireland but was shot in the Isle of Man. Hilarious movie, if you didn't catch it try to get a hold of it.

I seem to remember a coastal road, a telephone booth and a car...

-Dan

Meldy

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 10:10PM »

And the Bee Gees were born there.

Shocked

kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 07:55AM »

Thanks for the info

My children's school had field day a few weeks back. Each class picked a country to represent.  They also had to study the country they picked! They made tshirs, flags, and banners. One class picked the Isle of Man.  I knew nothing about it.

But those 3rd graders could tell you everything about it Grin

Maggie
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 08:55AM »

My children's school had field day a few weeks back. Each class picked a country to represent.  They also had to study the country they picked! They made tshirs, flags, and banners. One class picked the Isle of Man.  I knew nothing about it.

But those 3rd graders could tell you everything about it Grin

One great advantage of modern technology!

Now they need to make a field trip........... Cheesy
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 06:43PM »

The Isle of Man also has its own breed of sheep, (possibly goat, I am not sure which), but no other sheep /goat, or cat is allowed on the island because they do not want inter-breeding, they want to keep the species pure.  The same is true on the Island of Jersey with their cute little Jersey cow.  These animals can LEAVE the islands, but other breeds are not allowed ON the islands.

Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31PM »

This is really interesting "little known" info!  Thanks for sharing it with us! Grin

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: