Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An interview with the original Tinker Bell  (Read 4658 times)
Texan

« on: July 26, 2008, 10:06AM »

Really good interview with the lady, the model, for Tinker Bell  when it was done for Peter Pan over 50 years ago. I believe the interview was last year.

"Like Dopey and Dumbo before her, Tinker Bell was a character who never spoke. Thus, the actions were everything and Kerry's soundstage pantomime -- occasionally aided by giant props -- thoroughly mapped out the antics of the pint-sized pot mender who would win over hearts throughout the world."

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/margaretkerry-interview.html

A couple of quotes:

" And Tinker Bell darts. Did you ever notice that? The other people fly. But not Tinker Bell. She darts. She's gotta see what's going on here, there, and the other place. "

Now isn't that just like Mairead when she performs at times?

Of course as you all know Tinker Bell is going to have a voice. So sad in a way. But, I suppose it had to be.

Now that Disney has chosen to make Tinker Bell speak, do you at all wish that this decision had been made in the original film so that you could have given her a voice?

Not at all. Not at all! I think that watching in pantomime, I thought that was terribly interesting because it was up to the animators, and to me, to give her the body language in showing what she was thinking. Marc Davis said it so well. He said, "That spoke more volumes than if she'd said something."

Lester

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful music Deirdre
Moscapoet
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:35AM »

Thanks for posting that Lester. You're right about the similarity of movements between Mairead and Tinkerbelle. Now, will Tink's voice have an Irish lilt to it? That would be cool if it did.
Texan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00PM »

Thanks for posting that Lester. You're right about the similarity of movements between Mairead and Tinkerbelle. Now, will Tink's voice have an Irish lilt to it? That would be cool if it did.

Well, you can hear her voice here:

http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=3126

I didn't detect any Irish in her voice. It some ways I suppose I will miss all that the silent Tinker said to us.

Lester

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thomas
Total Fanatic

I am The Voice - I will remain (Thank You CC)

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:35PM »

All that I can add is "Let it Snow"  Cheesy

Tom

Banner by Scott

IDIC - Live long and prosper
Texan

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 12:41PM »

Tom

Aw, yes. I have to admit - it was so nice to hear the voice of our little Tinker, Mairead.

She twirled in joyous laughter, then smiled to sing!
              “Let It Snow”
My heart was pounding, my eyes began to tear
She smiled once more, and in a twinkling, disappeared!
The warmest and softest voice you could ever hear

Moscapoet
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:21PM »

Tom

Aw, yes. I have to admit - it was so nice to hear the voice of our little Tinker, Mairead.

She twirled in joyous laughter, then smiled to sing!
              “Let It Snow”
My heart was pounding, my eyes began to tear
She smiled once more, and in a twinkling, disappeared!
The warmest and softest voice you could ever hear

Great posts both of you.
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36AM »

I really enjoyed all of that  -  The interview with Margaret and the voice of Tink - totally fascinating - I agree though with Lester that hearing an actual voice takes away most of the  "mystique",  and her animations in the old movies  "tell the story",  so  I will miss that.  The little girls all over the world will be enchanted by  "talking" Tink though - I think it will be a really big hit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: