Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Downes with Phil Coulter on DVD from 1995  (Read 6442 times)
Charlie Brock

« on: October 13, 2008, 09:42PM »

David Downes FansThis may be of interest to those who haven't seen David at a younger age and playing the Whistle, Uileann Pipes and Keyboard.
David played in the Phil Coulter Orchestra in Limerick, Ireland in 1995. I didn't recognize him until the fourth or fifth song.
He has a very busy role in the orchestra as he switches from one instrument to another. There are many closeups of his hands on the
whistle, and several portrait closeups of this young dark haired musician. He wore very large dark rimmed glasses and parted his hair in the center.
Once you see him you'll know him immediately, but I wasn't expecting the lovely surprise and it sure added to the overal experience.
Phil is a fantastic musician and I have many of his DVD's and CD's, but this one is even more special with David Downes.
If I'm the last to know this I apologize... if not, I home you all enjoy the music if you find the DVD. I purchased from the Phil Coulter web site
(Amazon) for about $9.00. Phil has many others that are fantastic, and with newer digital sound purity, but this is also a top notch musical work.
Enjoy, Charlie

beckyw

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28AM »

What was the name of this dvd?

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:02AM »

What was the name of this dvd?

It's either "The Live Experience" or  "Touch of Tranquility"....

I have them both, can't remember which has young David on.

Phil Coulter is a stalwart of Irish Music........very talented, the "go-to" guy for artists when they want
first-rate advice, ideas, and experience.
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:37AM »

The DVD is Phil Coulter "The Live Experience"
Filmed at the University of Limerick, where our dear Forum Member Sarah is a Student right now.

I bought mine from an Amazon retailer for $8.62 + $2.98 shipping.

The retailer is "independent label review". Just go to Amazon and put the artist and title in.

I bought another Phil Coulter DVD "Touch of Tranquility" for Father Ennis, Pastor at my Church who is from Derry.
His favourite song is "The Town I loved so well" which is about Derry.
This DVD mingles music with scenery of Ireland, and guests including Ralph McTell.
Phil Coulter shows his son the City of Derry, with it's tragic past.
The video quality is not the best, but the music and the scenery make up for it.....and my Pastor loves it to bits!

Father William Ennis, and Phil Coulter....both from Derry:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:39AM by Maggie » Logged
beckyw

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:29AM »

Thanks Maggie.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:42PM »

Charlie, you are right about this DVD....."The Live Experience".

I just watched it again, it's been a long time.....I had forgotten how different David looked on this!

As you said, we don't see him for a while.....we just see his fingers on the tin whistle at first.
Filmed 15 years ago, he plays the whistle, uilleann pipes and 2nd piano.

It is a nice, relaxing DVD on which Phil Coulter plays tributes to some of his friends and tells us about them.
He had me reaching for the Kleenex with "Scorn not his simplicity", and again with "The Town I loved so well".

When the Coolea Choir sang Mo Ghile Mear, I could imagine young David Downes thinking:

"Mmmmm.....I think I could write a better arrangement than that....."   Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: