Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyber Security - Questions and Comments  (Read 107902 times)
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 12:29PM »

Rich,
Thanks for the article on online shopping.  I learned some things!  (the other articles are a little over my head, I'm having to work my way through them slowly LOL)

I appreciate your efforts!
Kel

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
jons
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 07:52AM »

Was there a mention about regularly changing passwords?

Its a good idea is to take lyrics from a song and put the letters backward. For instance 'thginot noom eht is hgih' is 'High is the moon tonight'. When you change your password just use the next line in the song. Its probably best to use lyrics of an obscure song and not a Celtic Woman one in the example. I hope that's of help.
jons
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19AM »

I hope it ok to post this here. There is a virus warning for users of Vista and Windows 7.

From the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7842013.stm

The Conficker virus has opened a new can of worms for security experts.

Drives such as USB sticks infected with the virus trick users into installing the worm, according to researchers.

The "Autoplay" function in Vista and early versions of Windows 7 automatically searches for programs on removable drives.

However, the virus hijacks this process, masquerading as a folder to be opened. When clicked, the worm installs itself.

It then attempts to contact one of a number of web servers, from which it could download another program that could take control of the infected computer.

Bad guys

The worm is unusually clever in the way that it determines what server to contact, according to F-Secure's chief research officer Mikko Hypponen.

"It uses a complicated algorithm which changes daily and is based on timestamps from public websites such as Google.com and Baidu.com," said Mr Hypponen in a blog post.

"This makes it impossible and/or impractical for us good guys to shut them all down — most of them are never registered in the first place.

"However, the bad guys only need to predetermine one possible domain for tomorrow, register it, and set up a website — and they then gain access to all of the infected machines," he added.

It has also emerged that the virus automatically disables the automatic updates to Windows that would prevent further infection.

As the virus - also known as Downadup - has spread to an estimated 9m computers globally, a number of high-profile instances of the virus have arisen.

The Ministry of Defence has been battling an outbreak of the virus across its network for more than two weeks, and on Tuesday a network of hospitals across Sheffield told technology website The Register that more than 800 of their computers had been infected.

Users are urged to download the KB958644 Security Update from Microsoft to mitigate the risk of infection.

jons
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 09:11AM »

If anyone's tried to get to this site through Google at the moment and it says "This site may harm your computer" don't worry, its Google throwing a wobbler.  Cheesy

Just try another search engine like MSN while they sort it out.
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 09:13AM »

Yes..it has that for every web link...and it won't let you cont on...Its VERY ANNOYING!!!

Trying to look up a stupid recipe..and can't get ingredients  Angry

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 09:17AM »

Yes..it has that for every web link...and it won't let you cont on...Its VERY ANNOYING!!!

Trying to look up a stupid recipe..and can't get ingredients  Angry
Try Yahoo.   Cheesy

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
jons
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 09:33AM »

Google's back to normal. I think it was the stress of having to index all those websites!  Cheesy
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23PM »

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

"This site may harm your computer" on every search result?!?!
1/31/2009 09:02:00 AM
If you did a Google search between 6:30 a.m. PST and 7:25 a.m. PST this morning, you likely saw that the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanied each and every search result. This was clearly an error, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to our users.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
jons
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 09:04AM »

It was mentioned in New Scientist! We were witness to a historic internet event! Cheesy
jons
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01AM »

A news feature on passwords: http://www.physorg.com/news153650514.html
jons
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 10:33AM »

If anyone is looking for a good Internet Security package, I would go for Norton Internet Security 2009. I booted up today, it downloaded an update and now when you visit google it puts a tick or a question mark next to each site in the search result and gives you a full report on it!
howard

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 05:09PM »

Rich,
Thank You for your Security Reports...
The Worm coming out April 1...I have Mcaffe & Spybot, updated, I run it twice a week.
As far as I can tell I will not need to download the links: to the one care safety scanner or the F-secure.
Am I correct?  Read everything...just want to make sure.

Thank You Again for these Warnings...
Best Regards,
Howard

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49AM »

Rich,
Thank You for your Security Reports...
The Worm coming out April 1...I have Mcaffe & Spybot, updated, I run it twice a week.
As far as I can tell I will not need to download the links: to the one care safety scanner or the F-secure.
Am I correct?  Read everything...just want to make sure.

Thank You Again for these Warnings...
Best Regards,
Howard

Howard,
As long as you've kept all your definition files up to date and you've installed the security updates and patches from Microsoft, you're safe.  Just be very careful before you click on any links embedded in emails tomorrow (and always!).  Make sure your antivirus software is configured to scan incoming email.  And you don't have to download and install the OneCare application.  You can run a free scan right from your browser (http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm).  It will only work with Internet Explorer.  I've also heard some talk that the online scan has failed a number of times lately due to the extremely high demand.  If you have a problem, you might want to wait until late night/early morning.

bot1tle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 10:41AM »

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=15434
howard

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 05:23PM »

Hi Rich,
Thanks for answering my concerns, I can rest easy now.  Cheesy
Thank You Again for the Security tips.
Best Regards,
Howard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up