Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyber Security - Questions and Comments  (Read 107834 times)
howard

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 05:40PM »

Rich,
Thank You so much for your advise very helpful and about the Windows Defender.

Best Regards,
Howard
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 06:26PM »

One other plus about Windows Defender.  MS updates the definitions file several times a week, so you always have the latest and best protection.  And, unlike most of their updates, you don't have to restart your machine after installing a new definitions file.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
howard

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 05:29PM »

Hi Rich,
Continuing from my "glitch" posting problem.  You recommended FireFox.
A co-worker of mine told me about 2 years ago he downloaded FireFox, (not to give the whole past history of Firefox), but their security system, like maleware they put in a trojan where no matter what site you got to it took you back to Firefox home page, the only way to fix it was to purchase their system, (can't remember the name).  He finally was able to remove it from his computer went back to IE and because he felt this was a dirty sales ploy he will never use firefox again, he said Firefox lost alot of users because of that as well.

It seems to me that you use Firefox?  What is your take about this.

Thank You,
Howard
Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 05:33PM »

Firefox works great, but you should download it from the real site, not some other download site... I don't usually trust those download sites.

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 05:41PM »

Firefox works great, but you should download it from the real site, not some other download site
That's good advice.  Download it from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
howard

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48PM »

Firefox works great, but you should download it from the real site, not some other download site
That's good advice.  Download it from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html.

OK, Thanks that's the name I could not remember "mozilla", which is what my co-worker did mention to me..
so bottom line no trojan's or any other problems with us and no problems what he had a couple of years ago?

Thank You Again,
Howard
Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 06:25PM »

OK, Thanks that's the name I could not remember "mozilla", which is what my co-worker did mention to me..
so bottom line no trojan's or any other problems with us and no problems what he had a couple of years ago?

Thank You Again,
Howard

Not that I know of. From reading a Mozilla blog, it looks like some optional Firefox add-ons (which were not developed by Mozilla) have had trojans possibly, but the latest Firefox platform is totally peachy. Wink

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:31PM by Guardian of the Rose » Logged

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30PM »

I have used Firefox since it came out and I love it! I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Thanks Lindsey
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 07:15PM »

Most of the Firefox add-ons are third party applications. I've tried to use one or two, and my Norton automatically disabled them. If you have a solid, reliable antivirus/anti-spyware program installed, and configure it properly, you should never have a problem.

I also have Opera, Safari and Chrome installed.  Despite their claims, I don't see much difference in the performance of one over any of the others.  I only have them because different browsers render web pages differently, and I need to test new sites and pages to see how those differences are going to impact the visitor's experience.

howard

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2010, 05:48PM »

Thank You Everyone for your input about Firefox, it is a great help.

Best Regards,
Howard
Sorgi

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2010, 06:37PM »

Having the misfortune of getting tagged with the "Antispyware soft" malware...not sure how I got it, but it's unpleasant. Within 15/20 minutes of booting it made it in and started sending its "You're infected, click here to purchase antispyware soft" messages.   The person who coded this one was smart enough to include a way to prevent the programs shutdown with CTRL+ALT+DELETE.  Trying spybot first....if not I'll have to do the safemode dance.

-Dan

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2010, 08:17PM »

Having the misfortune of getting tagged with the "Antispyware soft" malware
Click here for an excellent article on removing Antispyware Soft.

Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46PM »

Having the misfortune of getting tagged with the "Antispyware soft" malware...not sure how I got it, but it's unpleasant. Within 15/20 minutes of booting it made it in and started sending its "You're infected, click here to purchase antispyware soft" messages.   The person who coded this one was smart enough to include a way to prevent the programs shutdown with CTRL+ALT+DELETE.  Trying spybot first....if not I'll have to do the safemode dance.

Those buggers tend to be nasty.  If you're still having problems, also consider trying Malwarebytes.  Try downloading it from a different machine and get the updates, then transfer it to your machine.  Also make sure your computer is disconnected from the internet.

Hopefully you won't have to replace the registry keys manually, but it's highly likely.  I had to do that with two machines that were infected with similar malware.

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
Sorgi

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2010, 09:10AM »

Hit it with everything I had last night, seems to be gone.  Took the time to dive into registry found a couple bits and pieces left over and dumped them manually.  What really spiked the Antispy wheel is that I don't use IE, I use firefox instead so I still had internet access when I needed.  I'll be checking things when I reboot the next few times, but I think it's gone.  CTRL+ALT+DELETE was still my friend, I just had to do it fast after boot in order to bypass antispy's attempts to shutdown task manager.

-Dan

aholinka

Axel Holinka, Webmaster 'chloe-agnew.com'

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2010, 09:07PM »

You're able to enable CTRL+ALT+DELETE (usually TaskManager) again.

Click on <Start><Run...>, (NOT in SAFE Mode) type in "regedit" (the 'Registry Editor'; please DO NOT change any other values as described below otherwise your computer may not boot anymore) and click on <OK>. You'll see an explorer like directory/folder structure.
Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer". There you might find on the right site an entry called "DisableTaskManager" (usually there's only one entry "IconUnderline"). Right-click in it on chose "Delete" and confirm the question. If you don't find the entry try the search function. Go back to the top of the registry, press <F3> and enter "disabletaskman". Due to compatibility with older software this value may be located at different places with different names in the registry. In any case this value can be deleted SAFE!!!

Also check "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" for unwanted entries. Unwanted entries are entries that point to an unknown program or (in case of viruses, trojans, and spy-ware) to an exe-file that does not seem to be a valid program (e.g. a1.exe) or resides beneath "C:\Documents and Settings" (this folder and its sub-folders are just for personal documents and settings and NOT for programs; programs "*.exe" reside beneath "C:\Programs").

If you're not sure about an entry that you want to delete in the registry KEEP it - otherwise you may have to re-install your computer!

After closing the 'Registry Editor' you're able to use CTRL+ALT+DELETE again. If you deleted an entry as described above you have to reboot your computer to take changes effect. Sometimes it's neccessary to perform these steps more than once. Be patient ... computers are programmed by humans!

For further assistance please feel free to PM me!

Axel

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: