Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting Lisa and company 2/28/09!  (Read 9582 times)
AngusGibson

Ireland is calling me...

« on: February 18, 2009, 10:21AM »

Hello, everyone! I'm a brand spanking new member to this wonderful forum! Very glad to be here! I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this as a new topic (some forums are irreverently stingy with their rules, unfortunately).

A little bit about myself. I am a freshman at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville (Go Vols!). I found out about Celtic Woman last semester. The story goes as this. Being part Irish (and Scottish, British, and Spanish), I had a very small interest in learning about my heritage. I expressed this to a group of friends here at school. They immediately sat me down and pulled up a youtube video of Lisa Kelly singing "The Voice." I should add a note here, that I am ashamed to say that I have a personal trait where it is very hard for me to like new music until listening to it and becoming accustomed to it. However, that did not matter this time. Immediately, I was astounded by Lisa's beauty, both in body and in voice. Above-mentioned reactionary trait aside, I have always been a music enthusiast. Knowing a very little bit of theory, I picked out some of my favorite note progressions in the song, and each of these parts were sung exceptionally beautifully by Lisa. I was amazed.

The next videos I saw were Hayley Westenra's rendition of Scarborough Fair and Lisa, Maev, and Orla singing "At the Ceili." It was pretty much the same story as the above paragraph. Lisa became my favorite out of all of them (of course, I consider Mairead to be a favorite, since it's unfair to judge a fiddle player to a singer. She is INCREDIBLE!) I was convinced that this was my heritage that I was missing out on. I immediately bought two of their cd's off of itunes, and for Christmas, I asked for and received "The Greatest Journey" DVD. The story doesn't end there, however, and now we reach the meaning behind the title of this post. I bought 2 tickets as well as 2 meet-and-greet passes to the Isle of Hope concert in Knoxville, Tennesse on February 28th!

I am so excited and nervous at the same time, so I am asking for your help. For those of you who are veterans of meet-and-greets, I'd like for you to enlighten me as to what I can expect. The lady who sold me the tickets and meet-and-greet passes (a member of the public television station in Knoxville) told me that there were only 10 meet-and-greet passes being sold to fans per request from Celtic Woman. If this is true, does that mean that, by having few people in the meet-and greet, I will get a pretty substantial meet-and-greet time with the ladies, as opposed to standing in very long lines to just say, "Hi. Please sign this. Bye."? I'd also like to know about the actual process of the meet-and-greet session (ie Pictures? Merchandise selling? What to bring to have signed?).

The last thing I'd like to know is this. What is Lisa like in person? I'm particularly excited on meeting her and Mairead. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything from Lynn and Alex, and I was upset to hear that Orla and Maev have left the group. As for Lisa, I'd like to know about the woman behind the song that dominates the Top 25 Most Played Songs on my iTunes ("May It Be" at 102 plays. "The Voice" is 3rd at 58.). From what little I've heard about her personality towards fans, she seems to be just as sweet and kind as her radiant eyes and breathtaking smile suggest. Seeing some behind-the-scenes videos on Youtube, she came across to me as very down-to-earth and humble about her success, yet disciplined about her work (as Chloe said with a laugh when Lisa jokingly "confronted" her about knowing her songs, "Lisa always knows her songs!"). Also, is David Downes usually in the meet-and-greet sessions?

Now that I've probably bored you with my story, I'll conclude with saying that Lisa never ceases to amaze me, and I hope that once I have a substantial income coming my way, I'll be able to follow her and Celtic Woman on their tours of success!

Thanks,
Taylor "Angus" Gibson

P.S. I read a previous post about a Celtic Woman cruise, which I think would be a great idea! Are their any future plans where the group will have an event where there is that kind of personal connection between the group and the fans? That'd be something worth saving money for!

Interesting facts: Lisa sings the song "Caledonia" and my dormitory is on "Caledonia Avenue." It's official, I've gotta meet this woman!  Wink Also, I have found out that the Gibson family comes from Ireland, Scotland, and England!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:13AM by AngusGibson » Logged

Thanks Lisaholic nr1!

Thanks Guardian of the Rose!
raven_christina
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:18AM »

Hey Angus! Nice to meet a fan in my age range, haha (Just kidding guys, you know I love you Smiley ). Anyway, here's what I know about M&Gs (never having been to one myself, but more what others have told me:
-M&Gs most of the time are just two of the girls. So you may not get to meet Lisa herself (I, myself, would LOVE to meet Chloe) but that's ok. Getting to meet anyone of them would be awesome.
-You can't take pictures at the M&G. It sucks, I know, but rules are rules.
-Bring anything to sign. They oddest I've heard about is they signed a guy's head. I'll be bringing (if I get to the M&G -crosses fingers-) a group photo, a couple of my CDS and my autograph book.
-Gifts are cool. They love those, but make sure your venue is cool with you bringing them with you. If it isn't find a way for the girls to receive them.

That's about what I know. Hopefully the others can clarify some things for you. I hope this helps!
PS:L The Voice was the first song I heard by them too. Wink
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:40AM »

I'd also like to know about the actual process of the meet-and-greet session (ie Pictures? Merchandise selling? What to bring to have signed?).
Many people think that the girls want flowers and chocolates, but in reality after a show they are thirsty and got the munchies, so guinness and pizza score huge points with them. You can score points with your fellow meetergreeters too! You are in college, so you have probably already taken econ 101 and know all about the magical econometrics of beer & pizza, suppy & demand, etc.

There are no pics allowed. If you attempt and get caught, the OFG will disavowel any knowledge of your actions. Two large guys will take you out back of the theatre, beat you up, and toss you in a trash dumpster. If they are in a bad mood, they may skin you alive.

ok now getting serious....

I have only been to 1 M&G, but I have read about dozens, if not hundreds, on the forums, so here goes...

Some gifts at some venues can be a problem. At my M&G, someone had trouble getting flowers in. If you plan to give a gift, better check ahead on that with the venue. There is also a person with CW to coordinate with.

PBS will send you an instruction letter telling you where to meet up at after the show. The staff people take you to a meeting / party type room. They offered us soda and munchies like chips and pretzels. I didn't see many take them, as it seems everyone was waiting for the guests of honor and not thinking about food. They warned us to keep drink and food away from the ladies and NOT spill anything on their dresses. I am not kidding! Then 2 of the ladies arrive, sit at a table, and a line forms. You go through the line until you reach them, chat for a couple minutes, get autographs. You stand at the end of the table / line in awe for a few seconds. Then you leave. On the way home, you get depressed because you have been waiting and excited for such a long time, anticipating a great evening, it exceeds your wildess imagination, and now you realize its all over.  So you start planning for next year, or you check the ticket exchange posts and your bank account to see if you can get to another show with M&G in the very near future.

A note on taking pictures. They are not allowed. Don't try it. Don't even bring a camera into the M&G area. It really does hit a nerve.

You can bring pics for them to sign at the M&G. They will sign many types of things...CDs, fiddles, teddy bears, t-shirts.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
AngusGibson

Ireland is calling me...

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:02PM »

Just before you both typed these responses (which, btw, I'm VERY greatful for) I learned that I may not get to meet Lisa. This would be a massive dissappointment to me. Understand, I'd be thrilled to meet any and all of them, but Lisa has had a particular profound effect on my musical taste, and I credit her first with my new desire to find out about my heritage.

*wondering if I should write a letter before the show, politely begging Lisa to come to the meet-and-greet*

And fyi, since I'm not a business major, I don't think I'll be taking any Econ class. I'm an Asian Studies major, as well as a cadet in the United States Air Force ROTC program.

Thanks again!

Thanks Lisaholic nr1!

Lotte
Total Fanatic

We don't need sleep to be dreamers.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:22PM »

First, my apologies for the lame joke below...

Mwuahahahaha.. fresh meat... So young and innocent...

K, seriously; Welcome to the forum! It's so great to hear that you've already gotten a M&G ticket Cheesy I hope you'll have a great time at your concert. Maybe you could meet some people from the forum before the show starts, to get to know some people who've been to concerts before. I don't know if you're going with someone who's been there before, but maybe that'd help if you don't know what to do Smiley

http://www.gustavoguimaraes.com.br/arquivo/images/papelbolha.swf
Kudos to Isolda for this! Grin

Rich, thanks for the lovely pic Grin
raven_christina
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:14PM »

Also, I have found out that the Gibson family comes from Ireland, Scotland, and England!
You know what's weird? My maternal grandfather's syrname is Gibson...
I wonder if we're related somehow?  Shocked
Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:15PM »

Welcome, Angus!
Always glad to meet new members!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:25PM by Ggunsailor » Logged

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
davesab

Duty, Honor, CW

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16PM »

Welcome Angus!
I have been to a couple of M&Gs and what was said earlier is correct.
only 2 of the girls do the M&G
and which 2 is decided at the last minute after the concert depending on how worn out they all are by that time.
No matter who you get to meet, they are all warm and friendly.
I haven't met Lisa yet either but I hope to when I get to my next M&G in March.
Concerning gifts: the security at the venue will usually collect any gifts as you enter and pass them along to the group later.
At least that was my experience at the concerts that I have attended.
Good luck, you'll have a great time!       Grin

Dave
AngusGibson

Ireland is calling me...

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:22PM »

Wow! The concert is 10 days away, and I am already worried about the fact that I may not be able meet Lisa!  Undecided I feel like I would be missing out, because of all the nice things I've heard about her as a person. I guess there's really nothing I can do, except hope and wait (and post a message on her blog).  Wink

To answer a question above, I am going with a friend to the concert and meet-and-greet.

Thanks Lisaholic nr1!

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:03PM »

Hi Angus,

I will add that well I have been to  alot of concerts before you born. Roll Eyes Wink From small-mid size clubs to Arenas and festivals mainly rack / metal shows and pics with some music artist etc....

To answer one of your questions of bringing gifts to the venue?  A= get there early as you can like when doing sound check and ask for Rachel or Joanne who will give them to the ladies or you want to get it. Also write the names on them and who from.

I did that last year at the Greek Theater when  finally gave my box for Ray. I was there about 5 hours before show time outside during 100 degree heat! I was with Jim M who knows Rachel and Joanne. So when he pointed to her and called for her I gave her the box. Rachel and Joanne are nice yet busy. 
After the show I saw Ray come out of the bus and I called him over that the gift was from me and he was happy to know who from cause he didn't know. I forgot to my name from on it Roll Eyes And he remember meeting him from the ACC tapings from July 2007 at the Helix, Dublin, Ireland. And we with Jim M an Dwight talked for about 20 minuites.

Craig

AngusGibson

Ireland is calling me...

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41AM »

Shywolf, are you talking about meeting them before the show? My meet and greet is after the show.

Thanks Lisaholic nr1!

Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:40AM »

And Angus, I share your love for Lisa. Smiley

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
trinity4
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:21AM »

Hey another local fan. I am in Knoxville also. And I have meet and greet passes as well for the show. I am sure I will see you there. My wife and I are on the front row against the stage. Much better seats than I had last year. lol. This is my first meet and greet.
kat
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:10AM »

I'm barely dare to ask a little favor to ask the girls and my fav drummer ray a autograph for me ?
thanks anyway. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:10AM by kat » Logged
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:48AM »

Angus, to clarify what I mean is to give your gifts for the ladies. Is to give them to Rachel before the show so she will give them to the ladies. When you meet them after the show you tell them that is you that gave the gifts.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: