Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Send me a song  (Read 10988 times)
gwheatley

« on: March 03, 2009, 08:11PM »

I was just listening to "Send me a Song," today and began wondering about the imagery. She's obviously singing about a permanent separation. The only line that even hints at a reunion makes it seem more of a vain hope:
"So far from me and maybe one day, I will follow you, And all you do,"
When I first head the song I thought of a young man seeking his fortune either at sea, or in a new land. (America in the 1500 or 1600s.) But the more I listened, the more I realized that the singer has no real hope of his return.
So knowing that water is often a metaphor for death in Western literature, my assumption is that the separation is death and any reunion will be in the next world.
Does anybody have and documentation about the origins, or meaning of the song?

I'd rather be outside than in.
celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

You'll always have my heart...

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:41PM »

I don't have any concrete evidence about this, but being an English/Literature major, I LOVE your thoughts and interpretations of the song! I thought the same thing about it (the death part, morbid as that sounds)  Cheesy
raven_christina
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:50PM »

I don't have any concrete evidence about this, but being an English/Literature major, I LOVE your thoughts and interpretations of the song! I thought the same thing about it (the death part, morbid as that sounds)  Cheesy
You mean theres other crazies on here too? I'm an english major also! Though my emphasis is on creative writing (focusing on fiction).
But right, back on topic... this song could have any number of meanings.
celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15PM »

yes i have wondered several times throughout my three years in the English dept why in the world i chose a major that requires so much writing! Research papers are ridiculous here! lol
Wickster
Honorary Roadie

Class of 2011!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:17PM »

It's a beautiful song..that does give a lot of imagery.
I've often wondered myself...

I think it is about a "rover" of sorts..who is possibly many miles away from his true love and home.
but then again..who's to say...it's one of my favorites.

Wickie xx

"Even when they have nothing, the Irish emit a kind of happiness, a joy."
-Fiona Shaw
Western_Rose
Total Fanatic

A Dark Haired Girl

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:15AM »

There is an extra verse on the solo album "Lisa"

When you're lying alone
Under Spanish skies
Softly sing me the song
And waves will bring the love you sing
To me, send me a song

seems to suggest he could be a soldier?

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth" Psalm 100:1
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 11:25AM »

I always thought it was about death. It seems to me it's about the hopelessness of having your love go off to war when you know there's no chance of him coming back.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 12:19PM »

It's about Irish men leaving the country to find work during the famine years.  They left loved ones behind, sometimes never seeing them again.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05PM »

Thanks for the insight, Rich.  I love knowing the background behind songs. Smiley

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Antiup

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:37AM »

Good info Rich.

I always thought it was about a soldier also. I sent that song back home on a burnt CD so family members could here it.

Awesome song. Top 2
raven_christina
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 10:23PM »

It's about Irish men leaving the country to find work during the famine years.  They left loved ones behind, sometimes never seeing them again.
Wow. That's cool.
celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:47PM »

it's such a beautifully somber song. the first time i heard it, i cried because i was reminded of my deceased grandfather (weird  but some songs just do that to me)
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:39PM »

Nothing weird about it celticheart18.  That kind of thing often happens to those of us who have lost loved ones.  I know certain songs do that sort of thing to me too. Smiley

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 10:17PM »

Whether the song is happy or not, I still like it. It might be my favorite Lisa Kelly song.

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: