Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Researching my Irish heritage  (Read 71202 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 07:48AM »

Maggie, sounds like my family. They must have liked Jeremiah and Cornelius as they used it many times. Great great grandfather, great grandfather and grandfather all Jeremiah. Sure am glad that my Mother didn't go that route. I got the family name as a middle name.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 07:06AM »

Okay....I am still digging around in North Carolina! Seems 1790 Census was the first official census for the US. Is that correct?  I have  a Lewis(lLouis/Loas) Mullins and Bridget Layfield.... both born around 1790. He in North Carolina and she in Ga. Their children were all born in North Carolina(New Bern, Craven Co area) around early 1800's.....But I can't find his fathers name(Mullins) before that? I can find Layfield(Maryland)...but no Mullins?  Its like he just showed up. LOL There are Mullins all over the place ..but don't know which one.

Maggie...any suggestions?
I am going to email my uncle ...but all seems to stop in North Carolina. My mom states....prison ship must have brought him. Whats she talking about? She also stated he may have been an endentured servant. Would servants appear on any Census reports?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:09AM by kathleen » Logged

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 07:57AM »

Kathleen,
The British loved to ship prisoners to various outposts like America and Australia. As for endentured servants, they would be consider eligible to be counte din teh census, unlike slaves which were considered property. The Endentured servants were free to go their own way after their period of service, as I remember.

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 11:18AM »

...But I can't find his fathers name(Mullins) before that? I can find Layfield(Maryland)...but no Mullins?  Its like he just showed up. LOL There are Mullins all over the place ..but don't know which one.
Maggie...any suggestions?
I am going to email my uncle ...but all seems to stop in North Carolina. My mom states....prison ship must have brought him. Whats she talking about? She also stated he may have been an endentured servant. Would servants appear on any Census reports?

What was the father's first name? Do you know approximately what year he came over?
Yes as Jim says the dear old Brits sent prisoners to the colonies to get them out of "Mother England".
Indentured servants would have been included in the census and on the ship's passenger list.
Many Irish got to the USA that way.

There was a Mullins family on the Mayflower  in 1620:
William Mullins 
 Alice Mullins - wife 
 Joseph Mullins  - son   
 Priscilla Mullins - daughter   

Here is the last will & Testament of William Mullins:

http://www.histarch.uiuc.edu/plymouth/mullinswill.html

kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 12:13PM »

Maggie...thats my problem...I don't have a first name.

Louis I. Mullins born abt 1790 in North Carolina. Married  Bridget Layfield born 1791. Children were Thomas Kinion, Louis II, and Mary V.
Louis Mullins II born 1815 New Bern, Craven Co, North Carolina
.....and it goes on from there. I have all to present.

Louis is spelled several ways...Louis, Loas, Lewis.  Middle initial is I. Still looking. But most family history starts with him. I am told we have Scott/Irish from this side.

Not giving up though...... Grin

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:24PM »

Could he have actually had a different name to start with? Maybe his Irish name was changed. Or simply mispelled.

My Great Grandfather was listed in his military records as Grey intead of Guy because someone could't write properly.

jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 12:28PM »

Jim
thats what I am thinking too. I have tried Mulling, Mullen and Mullings. I agree...I have found several census records where the spelling is off. Writing may have been interpeted wrong as well. The cursive back then...very fancy...or scribble! LOl

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50PM »

Kathleen, The first US Census was done in 1790 and I found teh link. You can PM me and I will send it to you

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 01:17PM »

.....I have tried Mulling, Mullen and Mullings. I agree...I have found several census records where the spelling is off. Writing may have been interpeted wrong as well. The cursive back then...very fancy...

Kathleen, I looked at the Ships Passenger Lists, there are many passengers from Ireland and England
with the name MULLIN, more than MULLINS.
There are so many of them you would have to have the full name to do a search.

It's my guess that Louis was the most likely spelling, and I found the following, which mentions a Louis Mullins..
...you may have seen it before:
http://www.angelfire.com/al2/grimes/mullins.html

Lots of other Mullins over 300 years:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mullins/cousin.html

http://members.tripod.com/cornelius_carroll/Mullins/id20.htm

Genealogy is like a jigsaw, you get the big picture by putting the little pieces together.
Did Louis have siblings? Cousins? Maybe you can piece it together.
Did Louis stay in NC or did he move around?
Don't overlook the Mullins women.....find out who their daddy was. Here is another bit I found:

Mary Morning MULLINS
Louis DAVIDSON was born before 1802 in SC.
Louis married (1) Mary Morning MULLINS. Mary was born before 1805 in Va.
Mary was the daughter of John Mullins b. 1753 and Sarah "Sallie" Ballard.

LOUIS MULLINS Overton County, Tennessee 1820 Census

I found all of the above in 10 minutes.

If I had an hour to spare I bet I'd find him! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:38PM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 01:39PM »

no one can hide very long from Maggie.

Here is the link to US Census of 1790

http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/decennial/1790.htm

Jim
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:46PM by zankoku » Logged

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 02:42PM »

[It's my guess that Louis was the most likely spelling, and I found the following, which mentions a Louis Mullins..
...you may have seen it before:
http://www.angelfire.com/al2/grimes/mullins.html

yep...thats the family!

still looking Grin

Jack

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 06:14PM »

Kathleen,
I had a similar problem with my paternal ancestor, who seemed to have "just appeared" on the scene in SC.  After about twenty years of looking I stumbled on a document that showed he was a  British soldier captured at Charleston just prior to the Rev. War and held for the duration.  Upon release to the British after the war, he chose to remain in America, and returned to SC.  Once back in the state he received a total of 1000 acres in state land grants.  I tell you this to show some places to look.  Check land grant records for NC or even SC, check probate records, administration of estate records, etc in the last known county/district/parish for your ancestor and any related family line for the period.  You may be surprised at what you find.

Jack   
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 09:02AM »

Jack...I hadn't thought about prisioners of war.  hmmmmmmmmm the search is still on.  Grin Got a few emails to ask some people. Will let all know what I find.

Kinda feel like I am searching for Where's Waldo!

anybody else searching for their lost relative?

Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36PM »

kathleen-I'm still doing the same kind of search as well.  And, yeah, it does feel kinda like "Where's Waldo".  I'm not sure where else I can look without spending money and/or traveling to a big-city library.  All I have is the name and dates of William Reid and location is in the U.S.  Who I can't find anything about is James Reid and his wife, Parish who are William's parents.  I have no idea if they were born here in the states of if it was James' generation that came over from Europe.  Nor do I know where to look to find the information.  I have too many unanswered questions currently which means I'm sorely lacking in needed details. Undecided

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Maggie
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 12:25AM »

Who I can't find anything about is James Reid and his wife, Parish who are William's parents.  I have no idea if they were born here in the states of if it was James' generation that came over from Europe. 
Jeanine - do you have his middle name? What is "Parish", his wife's maiden name?
The problem is James Reid is quite a common name. There are many of them on the Immigrant ships lists, and there is no knowing whether any of them is the one you are searching for.
Do you have any more details, or anyone in the family you can ask?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: