Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Researching my Irish heritage  (Read 71522 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2009, 07:47AM »

Never overlook ex library books. Back in 1967, I went to the base library book sale and ended up shipping home about 250 pounds of hardbacks. <g>

One of the books was on Nuclear Physics and since that was my brothers area of interest, I picked it up for 25 cents. Several years later, I was going through the books as my Dad wante dto clear out some of the file cabinets. I told him to give the book to my brother if he was interested. Turns out that it was one of the first books written on the subject and my brother jumped for joy to be able to put it in his library.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2009, 07:47AM »

Cheesy  Oh, Good, then I think I am going to buy it just because of what happened to my late friend, Barbara MacDonald
      we took a train from London to Scotland...and visited her in Dunoon...saw some of the beautiful Lakes..Lach I think  
      they call them  ..met
      some delightful people, ate some good food...it was a great trip !!! So, I have been to Scotland, but not to Ireland
      yet, and I am really lookingforward to visiting IRELAND..

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2009, 01:15PM »

Still doing research......

Lets see....I think all of my relatives all came over to the states before the Revolutionary War. Its crazy.  Which leads me to believe....lots of servents, debtors, and criminals in the lot! LOL! At least its colorful!

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2009, 08:08PM »

And maybe soldiers in the Revolutionary war. Now THAT is an interesting search.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2009, 01:15PM »

You are right! I have ancestors that have fought in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War,  and on up to the present.  I even had a great, great grandfather to clear the pan handle of Florida of the Creek Indians(sad to say). One that was at Appomatax when Lee serendered to Grant. He then walked all the way home to Alabama. His family didn't recoginze him when he got home.

Very Interesting stuff. I have ancestors that were Slave Owners, Store Owners, Poor Famers, and Preachers and one that was struck by lightning!  Its been interesting!

Many/Most came from Scotland, Ireland, and England.

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2009, 01:28PM »

I have ancestors that have fought in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War,  and on up to the present

I too have ancestors who fought in the RV, 1812, CW,WWI, WWII and Vietnam. (The last one we were in). One served during Korea and was on orders when the Cease Fire went into effect.

You never know wher you search will take you. I researched my great great grandfather's last battle at Murfeesboro, Tenn. i wrote it up and found that a buddy of mine looked at it and his great great grandfather was at the same place and same time. (we knew by the regiment they were in)  His ancestor wore Grey, mine Blue.

I love history

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: