Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q&As from Órlagh's forum  (Read 45416 times)
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 11:32PM »

Wickie: Hi Orlagh,

It's so nice to see you on here and myspace.

i wanted to ask you a question about singing.
I'm still trying to develop my range, and at the moment failing miserably.

I was wondering if you had any tips for working on that?

and also, i decided to try my hand at harp again [seeing as last year i had
to stop because of all the craziness that went on]
There's no decent teacher in our area that gives lessons that don't cost an arm and a leg

i was wondering if you knew any good books for beginners? or something along those lines.

Hope all is well,

Wickie xxxx

Órlagh: Hello Wickie,

I'm delighted to hear that you are singing again! That's wonderful news!

I do vocal warm -ups every day, lots of scales and arpeggios .It's not very pleasant for anyone who has to listen to them!! If you could do something similar it would be very good for you. Is there a singing teacher in school who could go through some warm-ups with you? You could perhaps record them and do them at home.

There are some lovely Irish harp books by Cairde Na Cruite and they go through tunes and are great fun. I'm not sure if you can get them in the US though. You could contact Cairde and they might mail them to you.

Good luck with it all!!

Wickie: Thank you so much..
I'll talk with the Choir Director about it today.

Ha-ha i'll for sure look into Cairde Na Cruite, although i'm fairly sure The little music stores in our area won't have them.

Thank you so much Orlagh! It was really helpful!

CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 11:33PM »

Craig: Hi Orlagh,
On your first US tour , natrually you nervous yet happy. What did you do? The first show and where?

Órlagh: My first ever show with CW was in Cleveland Ohio and we were all really nervous! It feels like such a long time ago now.

We had over a week of rehearsals and worked really hard. Once we were on the stage however the nerves disappeared and it was the first of many wonderful experiences of performing in The US.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 11:35PM »

zankoku: Orla

While you do not have horses at the moment, what breed of horse do you like and have you ever ridden Western Style rather than English style?

Jim

Órlagh: I have never ridden western style. I'd love to try it some day though!
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 11:36PM »

Singergirl: Hi Orla!

I've noticed that all of your outfits seem to be really unique and beautiful! How would you define your own clothing style and who/what inspires your outfits?

Also, have you any advice for a student who is taking a difficult class in harmony? I am having numerous problems learning about tonicization of chords...I also keep accidentally writing forbidden parallels and hidden fifths, etc! It is driving me insane Smiley

Thank you!!!

Órlagh: Hello there,

I'm a real clothes addict!! I have three sisters and all four of us love clothes!

I really like clothes that are quite old-world looking and love vintage prints and fabrics.

Good luck with all the harmony lessons! I used to teach Music as you know and I used to play the harmonies that the students wrote back to them and get them to tell me how they sounded. Remember you are making Music and it's how it sounds that's important. When you get used to hearing things you will visualize them easier.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 11:37PM »

jawilla: Orla,
  I LOVE Siuil a Run - and recently found out it's one of your favorites also.  I am SO glad you sang it at the concert in Tallahassee, even though it's not part of the New Journey CD.  But I do have a question.  Once I fell in love with the Celtic Woman DVD that my husband introduced me to (he loves DVDs - especially music videos, and tries to find any he thinks I'd enjoy too), I went out and bought the solo CDs of yours, Lisa's, Maev's, Chloe's and Mairead's.  (I like yours best! - I love your voice, it's so warm and friendly).  But anyhow, to my question.  Between your version of Siuil a Run and Lisa's the words seem to be different.  Are they really, or is it just a matter of pronunciation?
  I think it's awesome that your grandmother taught you this song.  I never had the opportunity to have any family traditions or anything that I could teach my own daughter to pass down through the family, and I think that's so special.  I heard you say in the interview that was linked to in one of the other pages that you had lost your grandmother, but I'm sure that every time you sing this song it makes you feel close to her again.  That makes it that much more special, and I feel like I can hear your emotions through this song when you sing it.

Órlagh: Thank-you so much for your lovely comments about Siuil A Run. You were asking about the difference between my version and Lisa's and the words are the same but we pronounce them differently. There are 4 different dialects of Gaelic and my Gaelic is different to Lisa's.
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 11:38PM »

pine tree: Dear Orlagh,
It's a short story why I'm up at 430, and it will probably become a longer story but... I took a quick glance at our own winter wonderland and due to lack of sleep (and parts of the potential longer story) was wondering several things. How much snow do you normally get, now and when you lived in Knockananna ? Have you ever snowshoed or Cross country skied or does anyone in Ireland, I know probably a dumb question but remember the hour here (  I spend most of the winter on one or the other and in about another hour or so will be doing it again not for fun but I digress) ? Lastly what's Knockananna's elevation ?
I apoligize for the questions and any spelling errors, my excuse is again the time and looking at a dispatch page all at the same time. It's time for my own version of outdoor recreation... thanks for your time. Charlie

Órlagh: Hi Charlie,

I hope you got some rest today! 4.30 AM is an early start on a Sunday morning!!

When I lived in Knockananna, we would often get snowed in and get drifts of snow, several feet high.
It's been a long time since we've had heavy snow but back a few weeks ago it was pretty bad and there was several feet of snow on high ground.

I'm not sure what the altitude of Knockananna is but I will check it out.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 11:39PM »

BlueFawn: Hi Orlagh,

Thanks again for providing us this home on the web where we can all come together in appreciation of your music! Smiley

I'm a bit of a sports fan (College football is my drug...err, sport of choice  Wink Roll Tide!), anyway, I used to show horses and ran track through college and currently show dogs in various working events.  I know that you used to ride but are there any other sporting events that you have participated in or that you're a fan of and follow on a regular basis?

Many Blessings!

Jenna

Hi Jenna,

I'm not that mad into sports but I really enjoy a hurling match. Hurling is a very skilled Irish sport and it's very exciting to watch!

I also love national hunt horse racing. It takes place in the winter and is a wonderful sport!
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 11:40PM »

SusanZ: Hi Orla,

I know that you are busy getting your new CD ready for us! My question is: what do you like to do for relaxation? I know that you love your garden. Do you have any other hobbies/interests that help you to wind down from a busy schedule?

Love,
Susan ("Zee")

Órlagh: Hi Susan,

You know I love the garden and it's a great stress buster for me! I also love long walks and reading.

There's a real feeling of spring in the air here at the moment; the days are getting longer, the weather's getting milder and the birds are singing so it's just wonderful to get outdoors for a lovely walk.

I also love reading so between everything, I'm kept pretty busy!!

SusanZ: Dear Orlagh,

Long walks are the best for combining a little exercise with some stress relief! Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Love,
Zee
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 11:40PM »

Angie: Orla, I was just wondering if you have any fears - rational  or  irrational, or phobias (like mine is birds)  ?

Órlagh: I'm absolutely terrified of mice!! I turn into a crazy woman in the presence of a mouse!!

CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 11:42PM »

Jenny: Orlagh... Is Butler's your favorite chocolate?  Or is it some other brand?  It's definitely mine!  I also heard somewhere that you enjoy ginger candy?  Is that true?  I adore ginger too!  I purchase ginger chews in our local health food store here in Erie. 

After years of trying to swear off chocolate, I finally decided to just incorporate it into my daily diet and eat a little bit at a time. 

If you ever want to try an amazing chocolate covered ginger bar... I know just where to find it! I'm sure I could have you addicted in no time at all!!   

Love, Jens xx

Órlagh: Hi Jens,

I have to say I'm very partial to the old Butler's chocolates!! Too much so I think!!!

I also love Cadbury's chocolate here also. Time Out's are great!!
I'm afraid I don't like ginger bars at all or even ginger biscuits. I think I'm bad enough being addicted to chocolate!!

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 11:43PM »

Irishdreamer: Hi Orlagh,
I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the village of Knockananna where you are from.

Thank you,
Ann

Órlagh: I went to primary school in Knockananna. It's a small village in Co Wicklow, Ireland. It's the second highest village in Ireland after Roundwood. When I was growing up we used to get a lot of snow there.

My school had only 2 teachers and one of them was my mother! My mother taught me for 4 years. The school eventually got a third teacher.

You can see from this that Knockananna has a small population. There are also 2 pubs in the village and the church. Even though we moved away from the village when I was 14, it still holds a soft spot for me in my heart.

Irishdreamer: Thank you so much Orlagh for answering my question about Knockananna where you grew up.

Thank again,
Ann
deniz sarac

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 02:09PM »

Deniz Sarac: Hi Órlagh,
Before I ask my questions, I want to say something:
You are a wonderful woman and mother now and you making my very happy. You touch my heart and soul very deeply with all her songs, meanings and when I'm feeling down, I'm going to listen songs from you and then I feel me better, more happy.  
Since I've met you, I'm inspired by the country you come from and I really love Ireland. And I promiss you that, when I get the chance to come and see your show, I will surely come! Where that may be, here in The Netherlands or in an other country.
So this year going a friend, Linde van Zanten and I to Ireland to see a show of you and I hope that you remmenber me, when I'm there. Further are you the most loveliest person of the world and truely an angel.

- Do you remember me from last December the 15th? I sung to you.
- Could you read my letter I gave you? What did you think about that?
- When this year give you your show in Ireland?
- And can you give me some advize about the singing or what you do as a preparation? Becouse, I love to sing like you or Celtic Woman and when I'm singing, I  take my breathe through my chest and not through my stomach, which actually should and that is the problem with me.

I miss you Órlagh and I hope to see you soon this year.  A big kiss, hug and a lot of love and peace from me, Deniz from The Netherlands
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:19PM by deniz sarac » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: