Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Email from Iraq  (Read 16598 times)
Celtic Chicken

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2009, 02:33PM »

Well it was supposed to be sewn on,  I was just in a hurry.  And yes I joined the Air Force as I was a clueless soul with nowhere to go. 
Actually I wasn't going to and wrote the Air Force a letter telling them I wasn't the type they needed.  Of course I addressed it to the Head WAF so I don't know who got it.  But the recruiter wanted his quota so he talked me back into it.  So I consider everything their fault and feel no guilt as to not meeting their expectations.  Hey I lasted longer than Sinbad.  The semi proud...the fewer. 
 But for us girls at the time it was a dream compared to what the girls have now. Women were not allowed into combat and some of the jobs.  We had just gotten in the first Air Force Woman General.  I think her name was Jeannie Holmes.  Anyway she wanted the Air Force girls to be more feminine.  I never saw a gun let alone ever touched one.  I don't think she even wanted the girls playing sports.  So this friend and I put up a poster in the dorm saying the Air Force was starting up a WAF roller derby team. She put her old TI names from basic training on it.
 Needless to say when they went on the hunt for the perpetrators  I knew absolutely nothing about it.   
I met a kid at the VA last week from the army and she was telling me how they had to sleep with their gun and when they went through some training they wouldn't let them go to the bathroom and some of them would wet themselves.  She said they did it to break them down since they can't touch them.   I certainly would not have made it in today's military.  Of course the guys had it rough back then.   I really get disgusted when the vets have to fight so hard to get medical attention because of all these regulations.  The boards are designed to try to find a way to deny them. 
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2009, 05:46PM »

I am think that that was around 1969-1970s?  I finished up my hitch in 70 after coming home in 69.  I lived off base with 2 guys on my flight and one of the girls and her friend lived across the street. For the heck of it we put a red light on the front porch and the girls put a green light.
I recently touched base with one of the girls (think she is in MN or Mi and one of the guys lives here in the Phoenix area.
Of course I got greedy and joined the Reserves for a year so I could make E5 and get some bucks for college. $175.00 a month on the GI bill was not enough to do much on. Of my 4 years active, after tech school I served on three bases and only 1 on this side of the world.
I gotta say one thing CC. Thank you for serving. You didn’t have to do it, but you showed up for the party. There were some WAF chicks in Nam. You weren’t a Tape Ape were you?

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Celtic Chicken

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 07:23PM »

Well let's see.  I think it was 1971 to 1975.  I don't know what a Tape Ape is.  Is that a guy like Nixon that tapes things he doesn't want others to hear thinking the magic erase button will be his friend and saviour?
 I played in the AF band down at Lackland AFB in San Antonio Texas.
 I don't think you joining the reserves was greedy.  You're entitled to a little food and some toilet paper as long as it isn't double ply quilted and non scratchy. 
Antiup

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2009, 07:27PM »

What is a Tape Ape?

And we still have the scratchy TP. its terrible.   Undecided

You would be surprise what the GI Bill is today. (It's quite a bit) Shocked

San Antonio was to great place. I went there for medic school.

That you all for your service.

That remnd me I should get back to work!!!

Tongue

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2009, 07:56PM »

Tape Ape, Communications Center Specilist, Teletype operator (also crypto operator) Think the old Western Union except that all messages had to go thru the Comm Center. No one had computers except teh Comm Center that had a Univac 1004.

Sorry you go stuck at Lackland. I spet August and September in that H hole before going to Shepard. 2 years in Japan and one in the glorious resort area of the Central highlands. Totally unlike our Friend Casey. At least he doesn't get jungle rot.

I live in the desert and friends of ours have gone to play in the sand and they said it was just a tad warmer. Good thing they were used to the haboobs in Arizona. (monsoons)

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Celtic Chicken

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 03:54AM »

Since Lisa blabbed in her blog that she has 4 days off,  Celtic Chicken booked her on the Iraq "Desert of Hope We get outta here real fast" tour.  Antiup is there to greet them with a decoy of himself while he does that secret mission stuff like making sure the brass doesn't find out you bent the rules a little.  It's not like those snooty tv JAG lawyers would stick up for you if you got caught.
  Oh wait maybe that's not the decoy.  Maybe it's really him posing as the decoy. 
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2009, 07:44AM »

Love the pink roller skates!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2009, 07:48AM »

Great picture CC  !   A camel Chopper!!  Who'da thunk it!!!   LOL 

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Thomas
Total Fanatic

I am The Voice - I will remain (Thank You CC)

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2009, 07:51AM »

Very good CC,

Tom

Banner by Scott

IDIC - Live long and prosper
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50AM »

Lisa even has her Starbucks

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Antiup

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2009, 02:39PM »

Very Nice...

thats one Fast Camel.

Lisa stole my starbucks!!!! Grin
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2009, 06:52PM »

RHIP Casey and Lisa outranks all of us

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: