Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flag Day  (Read 3296 times)
McIrish

« on: June 14, 2007, 09:15AM »

Flag Day is considered by many in our country  to be a "minor holiday" in the celebration of our national heritage.At a time when the flag may not be considered as "cool" ,may I encourage you all to go to www. AmericanFlags.com to find some amazing reasons why our flag has been so honored in the past and should be today. If you scroll down to "flag trivia"on the left hand side,you will find why the colors red,white & blue were used,and...why,at the end of every funeral for one of our military,the flag is folded,in a triangle,13 times.It is fascinating & informative reading for us all.And also gives us an idea of true American values that were such an important part of our country 50-60 years ago.To quote poet Ruth Apperson Rous in her "I Am The Flag"she says of the flag,"I symbolize your birthright,your heritage of liberty purchased
with blood and sorrow./I am your title deed of freedom,which is yours to enjoy and hold in trust for posterity/...I am the flag of your country,that I stand for what you are--no more no less./Guard me well,lest your freedom perish from the earth." Quoted from today's Orlando Sentinel by Jim Mathews.May our flag continue to stand as a beacon of freedom to all.  Mc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: