Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smiling In Seattle  (Read 14762 times)
Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« on: May 18, 2009, 02:54PM »

"Smiling in Seattle"

A bit lengthy but, I hope worth the read!

The day finally arrived.  My eyes flew open at 5:30am...I was ready to go!  I had been waiting for this day since  December.  I had read every review and looked at every picture or video prior to this, my first concert.  I felt as if I had actually seen the show several times.   I was ready!

My husband Ron and I dressed in our Sunday best.  We were going to see a concert that defied all concerts.  I put on the Essentials collection CD and we sang all the way to Seattle.  Our show was at 3:00pm but we were there at 12:30!  The marquee with “Celtic Woman Isle of Hope”  took my breath away.  I was here! Seattle is a wonderful city, busy...cars...taxi’s...buses...people...small quaint restaurants, bistro’s...grills...eclectic with a New York feel.  We walked around looking for a place to eat.  We found a wonderful upbeat restaurant called the “Daily Grill”.  The atmosphere was personable yet filled with the feeling you get in a big city where things are “happening.”  After lunch we walked over to the Paramount Theater and the line had already begun to form.  Now, our tickets had been lost in the mail (can you believe that?) so we had to go to a “Will Call” window and hope that they had our names on the list.  They were...and we received our tickets.  I was holding my ticket!!! 

The Paramount is a lovely venue...a little history:  During the “Roaring Twenties,” particularly before the first “talkies” were invented in 1927, vaudeville and silent movies were the dominant form of national and local entertainment. Seattle alone had more than 50 movie palaces, the finest grouped together on 2nd Avenue. To achieve the broadest possible distribution of its films, Hollywood-based Paramount Pictures constructed a grand movie palace in practically every major city in the country, many erected between 1926 and 1928. In late 1926 or early 1927, Paramount Pictures decided to build in Seattle.

The Paramount Theater reflects this era and when you enter you feel pulled back into its history with all of the glamour and glitz of Hollywood.  How lucky were we to be there about to see “The Girls”!!  I bought a souvenir program showed our tickets and were sent down the isle to row “C” (third) seats 13 & 14 (on the isle).  We were three rows away from the stage!  What?  Yes, I could see every smile and wink up close and personal.  My husband kept smiling at me obviously amused at my enthusiasm.  Until the ride down to Seattle (we live 65 miles north) he had no idea of the intensity of my admiration for these women.  He knew I was a Forum member but really didn’t understand the extent of what we share together.  I knew so much about the show from all of you and your previous reviews that my mouth literally erupted into setting the stage for him.  He loved it! 

I will not go into the songs as you all know so well how extraordinarily they were performed.  I would like to share some of my personal reflections.  The lights dimmed and my heart struck a beat.  This was it!  I could hardly breathe.  Once Chloe began to speak I lost all awareness of anything around me.  (Now, I had already warned the gal sitting next to me that I may embarrass her with my whoo-hoo’s and clapping.  She stared at me and said “I’ve never even heard of them until now.”)  What?  Sheesh!  Ok, Seattle for all of your charm and hype as a city to be reckoned with...your enthusiasm was woefully lacking.  Ron and I looked at each other after each number and thought “What the...we can do better than this!.”  I mean they were grateful and showed respect and gratitude for each song...but, you’d have thought they were all glued to their seats!  So, Ron and I began bobbing up and down after each song...finally Mairead and Ray and Nick did a jumpy little number and encouraged the audience to join in.  Whew!

My observation of the girls:  I know that Seattle was the end of an arduous neck breaking schedule...they were going to enjoy 10 days off after our show.  You could see in their eyes a hint of fatigue and the fact that the audience was less than eruptive didn’t help them.  They had performed in Seattle the two nights previous and now this was a matinee show and their energy level seemed a little low.  They put out so much energy and give each song their all that I cannot fault them for feeling tired...but, even so, I am sure no one noticed but me.  I am so in tune with them now that I could tell.  On several occasions I gave a “whoop” and got Lisa’s and Chloe’s attention.  I would wave and nod my head in appreciation and they in turn would give me a most sincere smile and nod back (even if it wasn't to me...to me it was!)  Then it happened.  At “Oh America” the crowd went wild...and I could see that the girls were giving the song every thing they had.  They were thanking us, and we were thanking them as we continued to clap and cheer them...tears and waving and whistles.  I felt proud! 

The show was brilliant, extraordinary, beyond words.  They sang their hearts out for us.  I yelled at one point. “We love you” and Lisa glanced in my direction...the lady next to me put her hand over her face as if not wanting to be associated with me.  So, I thought, heck this is a one chance for me...and then I yelled.  “Happy Birthday, Chloe”...this totally undid the lady.  Finally before it was all over she was clapping and joining in the fun and amazing experience.  As the show progressed I noticed the girls gained more energy and came alive in their gestures and movements.  Mairead, I observed, had an elastic brace on her right knee yet she jumped and
flitted around like nothing hurt.  What a trooper!  My love and admiration for them grew by leaps and bounds. My heart was filled with so much joy and gratitude that I could scarcely contain myself afterwards.  My husband bought me a black tee-shirt with their pictures on it...ha, I am no youngster, yet felt like a kid.  What a joyful occasion this was for us.  We held hands and walked to another quaint outdoor restaurant and had dinner and shared the experience.  I kept an eye out for the girls in the event that they would find us and walk over and say “hi”...a dream only...but some day a reality as this will not be our last concert...no way, no how!!!

Thanks to all of you, my Forum Friends, for getting me in the mood for this.  I hope to meet some of you at a future concert and someday we may have the privilege of telling the Girls in person just how much they mean to us.   I am exhausted...but happy and Smiling in Seattle!
Rosie Allen

cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:25PM »

I'm so glad you and your hubby were there!!  It sounds like you carried the forum on your shoulders and did a magnificent job doing it!!  I'm more than sure the girls appreciated it and it sounds like you finally got others around you involved too.  That is the sacred duty of all forum members, ya know!   Cheesy  I know you will get those M&G's someday and I sure would be proud to be next to you at that concert.  It's a long trip, but think about Chicago and Forum Fest 2010.   You won't believe what 30 or 40 forum members setting stage front can do to the girls and the rest of the audience!! Glad you enjoyed the show!!!

Gary

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:28PM »

It's a long trip, but think about Chicago and Forum Fest 2010.
Hold the phone.  If I have anything to say about it, ForumFest '10 won't be in Chicago unless it's in May or June.   Grin

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58PM »

Thank you for your kind reply...I think we may be open to a 2010 Forum Fest.
It's good to get a reply to a review...you wonder if once you hit "post" if it
hits its mark.  I like feeling connected to the whole group.
Peace, Gary...Rosie

cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17PM »

LOL-- I forgot about you and that cold weather, Rich!!   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy   Well, where ever forum fest 2010 is held, plan on coming Rosie, K??    It's always a lot of fun with a bunch of members! 

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Antiup

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:59AM »

Glad to hear you had a great time. Its always fun to read each person recount of what happen. I will not be seeing this tour this year so I enjoy reading everyones thoughts and opinion of the show.  (Maybe if they have a fall tour)

You did an excellent review by the way.

I love the Seattle area.

shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:52AM »

Smiley Well, I didn't know whether to read this or not...as i have NOT seen a show...but....I am sure glad I did...I feel I was right there in the row with you and your husband..and I have been known to yell out things at concerts like you did for Chloe's coming birthday...wow..you really had some good seats...yes, the  girls and all of them are on a punishing schedule, and I am so glad they are going to get a 10 day reprieve ! ! ! My former minster lives in Seattle, and I wanted so much for him and his wife and grown daughter to see the show. He has seen them on you tube and really likes to hear them.

There is nothing compared to the way they sing, and  the way Mairead weaves a tapestry over them..even if many, many people do not know them, or some who do know them but dont have occwd WE FORUM MEMBERS know what they can do, and how they have enriched our lives a hundred fold over...!!!!! Wow, you really represented us there, it is not good when performers don't feel that love and appreciation across those footlights! ! !Glad to HEAR it SPARKED up as the show went along...Your review was fantastic as they would say...Lisa and Mairead are always saying something is fantastic ! ! !
I want to go to Tulsa before I go to Red Rocks,,,but I have been to the MABEE center, and they have some postage stamp seats...where you would defintely need glasses....If I won the Lottery, i would follow the last few concerts as they wend their way to the FINAL Venue in Beautiful Colorado...but alas...i am going to be lucky to get the seats I have so far ! ! !

Rosie...super job on the review...really makes me wish July 1 was in two or three days...but I can hang in there until show time...you sure brought some enthusiasm to the printed page..t h a n k s Smiley Wink Cheesy Kiss

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:26AM »

Rosie, so glad to hear that you and your husband had such a wonderful time. I guess they were worth the wait, huh?? Wink Grin

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:03PM »

Great review, Rosie!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 03:06PM »

Wonderful, Rosie!  So glad you had a great time  Grin

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
GeorgeN

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:28PM »

"Smiling in Seattle"

A bit lengthy but, I hope worth the read!

My husband Ron and I dressed in our Sunday best.......  She stared at me and said “I’ve never even heard of them until now.”)  What?  Sheesh! .... 
...... I am exhausted...but happy and Smiling in Seattle!
Rosie Allen

Rosie,

Great write-up! I enjoyed reading it.

Are people dressing up, or just wearing jeans? While I dressed up at the event I attended back in March, I noticed that most people did not. Perhaps it was because it was such a cold day? Also, the folks sitting around me who I talked to (7th row), were not ‘big fans’, but were local PBS members who had liked CW’s PBS shows and had just gotten the tickets thru PBS for ‘something to do’. I think all of them left the concert as CW fans!

George
Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:57PM »

Thank you all for your review of my review.  The experience was so amazing for us that
I sort of went on and on.  After reading Chloe's blog it struck me that while I thought the
Seattle Sunday crowd were a bit late on their feet...the girls saw it as an enthusiastic crowd.
Good!  Maybe it was just the people around me...though as I looked around it seemed
slow going...oh, well...that they felt affirmed was most important!

George, most people were casual in their dress.  We wanted to make this concert an "event"
a "date" and so, we dressed up.  Our attire added to the specialness of the concert and gave
us a tangible way to let the girls know how "elegant" they made us feel.  We live in a Rural area
North of Seattle, the Skagit Valley...dressing up is indeed an "event"...so, we take every
opportunity.   Cheesy

I am still basking in the after-glow of that afternoon and will for months to come!  Wow!  Wink

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:05PM »

Great review. I think the forum needs to come up with a list of requirements when a forum member goes to a concert.

1. Wear a CW Fan button.
2. If there is a stranger next to you, You have to be loud in your cheering.
3. Start a standing ovation at every number. If nothing else you will catch the eye of the girls
4. If there is a bump on the long spectator, step on them and get them in the mood by whatever means necessary.
5. Knee capping is not an approved method of encouraging people to cheer.  Grin

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Kaneyoshi

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:58PM »

Hello Rosie,

Thanks for your review. I've been also in seattle in the concerts on 16. May night and on 17. May in the afternoon. It goods two wonderful concerts and the very nice old Paramount Theathre is been for the concerts the correct place.

Greetings from Germany
Udo

~~~Ready, all to give, so as to feel once again the sun in my heart~~~
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 09:59PM »

I finally found your review! Great job,Mama R! I can just picture the concert and you and ron! You have a way with words!

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: