Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ireland Fairies (Real or Myth?)  (Read 25403 times)
Irishclover7

« on: June 01, 2009, 07:37PM »

Hello! I've always believed in fairies, including those from Ireland, like the Banshee, the Dullahan, Leprechaun, Merrow, Changeling, Pooka, etc. In fact I actually wrote an Irish Fairy book using these fairies throughout the story, although I'm still hoping to get it published. (I'm a 16 year old author! lol)  I just wondered how much people in Ireland believe about these fairies, and whether someone might have had an experience with them. And if anyone has had an experience with ghosts too, please share! I love ghost stories.

I remember seeing three movies, which happen to be favorites of mine: The Secret of Roan Inish, the Magical Legend of the Leprechauns, and the Disney Classic, Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Many of these fairies are mentioned and portrayed in the movies in different ways. What exactly do the fairies really look like, if you had to make an accurate guess?
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:48PM »

Don't know about the others, but I have always kind of believed as there is some truth in every legend

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:48AM »

Well, I don't know A LOT, but if you have seen The Secret Of Roan Innish, you know what the selke looks like - a seal, that can turn into a beautiful lady who visits you in your dreams etc.  The Banshee seen in Darby O' Gill  is a lady dressed in rags (hag), who screams loudly when death is imminent, and of course the leprechaun is well-known, cute little funny-looking character in a hat with a shalele sp. dressed in green Irish garb, and has a red beard and hair, up to mischief usually, charming but tricky.  The others you mentioned I am not familiar with - BUT there is another thread around here somewhere where Maggie goes into detail on all of these legends - very interesting.  Look it up.

Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03AM »

Have you read the Spiderwick Series or watched the movie?
I would certainly recommend it to you as well as the companion book: http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Spiderwicks-Fantastical-Spiderwick-Chronicles/dp/0689859414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244037060&sr=8-1
It's a really neat book, and there are many drawings of different fairies inside. It includes an artist's depiction of Phookas, Trolls, Dragons, Banshees, Kelpies, Mermaids, Brownies, Elves and Pixies, Dwarves and Ogres, etc. as well as lots of "facts" about them. The series is a fictional story by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black. It's fun and I'm sure you would enjoy it.

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
Kyradriel

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:36PM »

*points up* I know of one real one.  Wink

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:35AM »

The Fairies are Afoot! Smiley
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Fairies-Are-Alive-in-Ireland
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:55PM »

*points up* I know of one real one.  Wink
      Kiss     Tink's  long  lost  sister.   

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 06:33PM »

I can put her on fake fairy wings.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:49AM »

I'm right now slightly (haha!) obsessed with Oscar Wilde.

Do you know what a fetch is? It's a supernatural double or apparition of a living person. When Oscar was in jail, his mother suddenly came in and when he said she should stay with him, she shook her head and went away. A few days later he got visited by his wife who told him his mother had died and he said "I know."

Fairies and other supernatural beings are commonly believed in in parts of Ireland, the UK but also Iceland and Scandinavia. Of course, no human being can know for sure, but these kinds of beliefs are less denigrated than they are in most parts of Europe or the USA. It's interesting.

By the way, if you are interested in books featuring mor traditional beings from folklore, instead of typical fantasy races, I'll recommend "Tamsin" by Peter S. Beagle. It's set in England and features some interesting creatures and magical beings.

Also, the fantasy books by George MacDonald, a Scottish fantasy author form the 19th century. Phantastes is highly recommended ^_^ It was what made C. S. Lewis a writer and Tolkien loved it, too Wink And it's about faeries!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:11AM by ShiningBright » Logged

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 04:52AM »

I've  always  been  fascinated  by   selkies  ever  since  the  movie  "The Secret  Of  Roan  Inish" .  Meav  also  sung  about   a selkie  in the  lovely  song  "You  Brought Me  Up".    Grin

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 05:26AM »

Selkies are surely fascinating, like all other kinds of merpeople, wether it be mermaids, syrens, Nixen (a German word), etc.

You know what I find interesting? The Billy Blind. Especially as portrayed in Beagle's "Tamsin". I'd love to meet one!

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 05:42AM »

Selkies are surely fascinating, like all other kinds of merpeople, wether it be mermaids, syrens, Nixen (a German word), etc.

You know what I find interesting? The Billy Blind. Especially as portrayed in Beagle's "Tamsin". I'd love to meet one!
  I'll  have  to  check  that  out.    Cool

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 07:24AM »

It's a young adult/teen fantasy novel Cheesy Peter S. Beagle is - of course - most famous for his masterpiece "The Last Unicorn"! He's a magnificent writer ?

Naraku_Diabolos

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45AM »

There's a book at my local Barnes & Noble that is all about Faeries from around the world (in different cultures and mythology). I want to read it, but don't want anyone to think I'm weird lol

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Hayley-Westenra-Excalibur[/video]

"I Made Hayley Westenra On My Online Game."
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=19082.msg879933#msg879933
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 06:47AM »

Has anyone ever read "Lud-in-the-Mist" by Hope Mirrlees? THAT'S certainly a different take on faerie.

Also, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is very interesting.

Does anyone know the books by George MacDonald?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: