Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Smallest Museum in Ireland  (Read 4049 times)
zicom

« on: June 01, 2007, 07:27PM »

The Smallest Museum in Ireland

Galway City

While sitting in the park in front of The Great Southern Hotel in Galway, Ireland I was approached by a nondescript Irishman, who enquired how do you like the weather Yank? Fine I said it has not rained in the last hour.
He then went on to tell me his name was Dermot, and he had lived in Philadelphia for ten years, but returned home as more jobs became available in Ireland.
What are you doing now I asked? He said unfortunately I am at loose ends, but hope to get a position at the Galway track soon. In the meantime I am available as a guide should you require my services. No thank you, I have seen the high spots of Galway, both day and night, I replied.

The Challenge

Ah, maybe so but have you been to the Smallest Museum in Ireland yet he asked. No what is that all about? He replied its Nora Barnacle's childhood home.
He did not know it but I immediately wanted to see the place, having been a lifelong admirer of James Joyce, and his longtime companion and wife Nora Barnacle. Tell you what, show me the Museum and we will have a few pints afterwards. Your on he says, it's only a short walk from here.

The Museum

The house is on Bowling Green Street said Dermot, but I have to stop at the Pub and get the key.
He explained the place is closed at this time of year. After a quick pint, we obtained the key and were on our way.
 Upon entering the house, it was like stepping back into time, and one could imagine how the Barnacle family lived in the early 1900's.

The following information is taken from Museum literature:
The house was built in the 1800's. The smallest house in the street, its accommodation consists of two rooms and a tiny back yard. The ground floor room served as a kitchen, dining room, and often as a bedroom. Cooking was done over an open fire, in pot ovens and on large griddles. Water was drawn from a pump across the street.
The upstairs room was a communal bedroom. At the turn of the century, Nora lived here with her mother and six younger Barnacle children, until she left Galway in 1904 for Dublin, a meeting with James Joyce and immortality.

Summary

I have always been an admirer of the mystique surrounding the literary genius James Joyce. Nobody is asking, but without the companionship of a seemingly uncomplicated girl from Connemara, Nora Barnacle, James Joyce would not be recognized today as Ireland's greatest writer. However that is another story.
Suffice to say a visit to the Museum is interesting if you find yourself in
Galway.
Note: For serious James Joyce fans, Bloomsday is June 16th and celebrated in many cities around the United States and the World.

Best Regards
zicom

zicom

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:28PM »

Nora Barnacles home in Galway City.
Only open in Summer but worth seeing if you are James Joyce fan.

Best Regards;

zicom
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 12:50AM »

This is also a small museum - the home of Scottish poet Robert Burns, in Alloway, Ayrshire.
We went there many years ago, and since then it now has a Heritage Park around it.

If you are ever in God's Country (Tipperary) in the town of Thurles, there is a small but very interesting Museum of the Famine, and also Military memorabilia.
You call this number locally: 21133 and a young man will come and let you in.
Ask him to show you the tomb in the churchyard where there is a ritual for curing any ailment of hands and feet.
He will also show you the graves of local heroes, whether you ask or not!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: