Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mo Ghile Mear  (Read 6551 times)
Old Guy

« on: July 24, 2009, 02:45PM »

I like Mo Ghile Mear a lot. I started looking for the origins of the song. Most of the information credits it as being based on a poem by Seán Clárach. I've found it referred to as a tribute to Bonnie Prince Charles and the CW version sounds like it fits that. However, I've also found it referred to as a lament for him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Cl%C3%A1rach_Mac_Domhnaill.

As I said, I love the CW version which sounds more like a tribute, I wonder. Would this not be a terrific song for Orla done as a lament, in the style of Mary Black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlCM_Mwtys.

g

They traveled across the angry sea in 1849
With all that they could carry
They traveled sick, they traveled blind
Their home, the starving island, just a photo in their mind
They buried the dead at sea, winter 1849

(1849 by The Elders)
Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:07PM »

I love this song.  The best version of this song that I've every heard, however, is Mairin Fahy's version.  When I saw Mairin live in Galway, she explained it...I don't really remember 100% what it was....but she said it was something like...there was a war going on, and the Irish army wanted to enlist the help of this scottish guy....I guess he was like some sort of equivelent to a general.....but he ran away to France because he lost a battle and was humiliated...

this is just bits and pieces of what I remember.  I'm sure Maggie knows.  She is, after all, our source for all things Irish.
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:40AM »

I've posted about Mo Ghile Mear a couple of times, this was one:

Re: Evolution of Song
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 05:41AM »

Here is Sting's version, accompanied by the Chieftains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auSa0YfkxFE
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:00AM »

Yes, we have already done quite a thread on "Mo Ghile Mear" including Sting's version etc...

BUT.....we DID NOT have  this marvelous LINK...Maggie...thank you so much...for this I couldn't believe I got to listen
 to it again, and can now when I want to. I gave my chieftain's album and 2 CW albums to a YOUNG Single Chaplain
' who had just been called to Mortuary Duty in Kuwait... So I thought it would be a while before I had the time and
  money to replace the albums...

Yes, the way C W sang it, it sounds so joyous and a regular happy birthday song...Then I stumbled on to Sting's Version
  and was so perplexed until Forum members came to my rescue explaining the lament and nature of the
  sad song...etc...I also know now who MARY BLACK is from Maggie's link about the FLEADH in Ireland...i clicked on a video  of her singing...now I want to watch her version of "Mo Ghile Mear"

Thanks to our friend and Irish consultant, Maggie, we can now ALL on this Forum listen to Sting sing his version of the stirring song....thanks again..

Shankdee
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:01AM by shankdee » Logged

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Old Guy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:11AM »

Thanks everyone. I'd seen a couple of the threads about Mo Ghile Mear that were basically people saying how much they liked it. Thanks for the links. I understand that in particular the traditional songs evolve over time and often change quite dramatically. I have no problem with that. I really do like the CW interpretation of Mo Ghile Mear. I like it a lot.

Orla's voice is so unique and haunting. It's just ethereal. I really miss having her as part of CW. I started thinking that the slower, more lament-like version would be perfect for her. I think this got started, back before I had Orla's CD, when I thought that She Moved Thro' The Fair would be a good song for Orla. Lo and behold, I found that she had done it on her CD. Okay, that was the tipping point that, of course, forced me to buy Orla's CD.  Wink

I would still love to hear her do Mo Ghile Mear.

Gary

They traveled across the angry sea in 1849
With all that they could carry
They traveled sick, they traveled blind
Their home, the starving island, just a photo in their mind
They buried the dead at sea, winter 1849

(1849 by The Elders)
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57PM »

Wow! I listened to Sting and The Chieftans version of Mo Ghile Mear and I don't like it at all, but I really really like Mary Black's version of Mo Ghile Mear.

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
binti

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 09:35AM »

I agree with you, Gary.  I would love to hear Orlagh do this as you suggested.

Thanks to m.k.c. for this lovely banner
Parker Gabriel

The British Isles may become all I have left.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08PM »

A translation of the Gaelic, if one exists, may help. It is as it was with NSL.

The British Isles may become all I have left.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:11PM »

I think I just recently heard that it has something to do with Bonnie Prince Charlie. But I can be mistaken.

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:38PM »

I just can't get Meav's part of this  song out of my head...whenever she gets to the point where she tells us to follow her I reply " sounds good to me!"  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: