Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Celtic Cross and the Celtic Knot  (Read 15748 times)
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« on: June 29, 2007, 05:08AM »

Hey, pals, I can tell what the Celtic Cross does. It shows the the way that it is a symbol to Irish churches and other Celtic catholics. Not only the Celtic Knot shows the Irish thing but also other Celts to provide. Isn't that true? Can you tell me what they look like as symbols?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 06:21AM by KAJ » Logged

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
fireyred09
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:28AM »

Oh, Maaaaagggiiiiiiieeeee??  Wink
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:57AM »

Kimberly, here is a typical Celtic Cross in a Churchyard in Ireland:

Here is one in jewelry:

The most beautiful examples of Celtic knots are in the Book of Kells, ancient scripture preserved in the Library of Trinity College Dublin. They were drawn by 8th Century monks.

There are many designs of Celtic Knots. The basic design is a never-ending weaving line, which signifies eternity.

When a celtic knot has three leaves like the following, it signifies the Blessed Trinity:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:58AM by Maggie » Logged
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:14AM »

Whoa and wow! Thanks for the pictures, Maggie, you're so great finding them. Smiley

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:35PM »

I have had a celtic cross hanging from my rearview mirror for years, right below my St Christopher's meda for the last 45 years. Been in every car I have oned  (the ones I drive)

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 02:56PM »

You did? Does it have a tip swinging on when you're driving? I've just seen these Celtic crosses carved for years.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Maggie
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:07PM »

I have had a celtic cross hanging from my rearview mirror for years, right below my St Christopher's meda for the last 45 years. Been in every car I have oned  (the ones I drive)
Jim

I bought one in Lowe's for $9.99, it's a very nice example, about 18 inches high, now in the garden. Showing my Faith and culture all in one.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:11PM »

Actually I bought mine in our church gift shop and had it blessed. No swining tip, but it goes swing a bit.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 05:04AM »

Geez, I wish I still had one as a decoration on the wall. Roll Eyes

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
KILARNEY06

Some F.O.O.L.S never learn

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 01:35PM »

I must agree with Maggie that the best examples are in Trinity College  The Book of Kells was assume. I was told it was found many years ago in a pete bog not sure if it's true or not but Maggie will surely know. The colors are so vibrant on the text. We purchased a "genuine imitation" of one of the pages and also a picture of the LONG ROOM..The library at Trinity College.  i am still looking for a Celtic Cross as I was Going to buy one at the next stop.  Sadly I never did.

I have never met a man who has given me as much trouble as myself.
Texas Chava

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:23PM »

Maggie, I have seen the trinity knot advertized in various jewelry sites as the triqueta.  What is the difference if any?

Banner by Scott
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 04:34PM »

You can also mention that Celtic knots come in traditional shapes too, can't you? I can say that Celtic crosses come from Celtic churches.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 07:35PM »

I must agree with Maggie that the best examples are in Trinity College  The Book of Kells was assume. I was told it was found many years ago in a pete bog not sure if it's true or not but Maggie will surely know. The colors are so vibrant on the text. We purchased a "genuine imitation" of one of the pages and also a picture of the LONG ROOM..The library at Trinity College.  i am still looking for a Celtic Cross as I was Going to buy one at the next stop.  Sadly I never did.

That library has every book ever printed in Britain and Ireland; quite an amazing place! I remember looking at the Book of Kells and thinking it iddn't even look real because of all the gold that was in it.

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Maggie
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 04:08AM »

I must agree with Maggie that the best examples are in Trinity College  The Book of Kells was assume. I was told it was found many years ago in a pete bog not sure if it's true or not.......

The book of Kells is thought to have been started at another of the ancient monastic sites, probably Iona (Scotland) possibly by Saint Columba himself. It was definitely brought to Kells and finished there.
It was stolen, and later found "under a sod", not exactly in a peat bog, but buried somewhere. When found the gold jewelled cover was missing. Some front and back pages are missing, but it has the complete four gospels.
The quality and colors are amazing when you consider what the monks had to work with, and the poor lighting they had.

Gerald of Wales, a 12th Century writer, described it:
"Fine craftsmanship is all about you, but you might not notice it. Look more keenly at it and you will penetrate to the very shrine of art. You will make out intricacies, so delicate and so subtle, so full of knots and links, with colours so fresh and vivid, that you might say that all this was the work of an angel, and not of a man."

In 1654, when Cromwell arrived in Kells, the Book was sent to Dublin to keep it safe, (thank God) and it has remained there.

This is the four evangelists in the Book, and the Long Room at the Trinity College Library, well worth a visit.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:11AM by Maggie » Logged
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 04:48AM »

That's such a pretty look of the Celtic cross you've got there. Oh, and those pictures are magnificent too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:50AM by KAJ » Logged

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: