Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Celtic Cross and the Celtic Knot  (Read 15641 times)
KILARNEY06

Some F.O.O.L.S never learn

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 09:19AM »

Maggie  the picture of the four gospels is what we have hanging on our foyer as well as the Walsh and Coffee coat of arms and an old map of Ireland

I have never met a man who has given me as much trouble as myself.
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 02:48PM »

WOW! Shocked I love the pics! I'm trying to make a quilt dedecated to eaiter CW or Ireland. I haven't  decided wich yet. Grin What other symbols represent Ireland? No pics needed, I can find them myself, but the names of some would be helpful!!!  Many thanks!
Maggie
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 08:59PM »

What other symbols represent Ireland?

The Shamrock, which has three leaves. Saint Patrick used it to demonstrate the Trinity.
The four-leaf clover is NOT an Irish symbol.

Saint Brigid's Cross 
As the Shamrock is associated with St. Patrick, the small cross made of rushes is linked forever to St. Brigid of Ireland. Brigid died in 524 and among the many things and great charity for which she is known, it was while explaining the Passion to a dying pagan that she wove her famous cross. It is believed that the St. Brigid cross protects homes from evil and want.

And of course, most important of all, the Harp:

The Harp is exclusively an emblem of the State at home and abroad. It is always used by Government Departments and Offices. It also appears on all Irish coins.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:06AM by Maggie » Logged
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 12:38PM »

OOOOO! Thank you so much Maggie! Those will help alot!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: