Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caledonia  (Read 12465 times)
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« on: August 16, 2009, 07:03PM »

I read somewhere that there's a place called New Caledonia.
Does this have anything to do with the song?

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:30PM »

Nope.  New Caledonia is a group of islands in the southwest Pacific.  Legend has it that it was named by Captain Cook.  His father was Scottish and the coastline of the islands reminded him of the rugged Scottish coast.

There is also a New Caledonia in British Columbia, Canada, and a failed Scottish colony in Panama.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37PM »

Nope.  New Caledonia is a group of islands in the southwest Pacific.  Legend has it that it was named by Captain Cook.  His father was Scottish and the coastline of the islands reminded him of the rugged Scottish coast.

There is also a New Caledonia in British Columbia, Canada, and a failed Scottish colony in Panama.

Really? I didn't know that, thanks!

DwarfMaster

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36PM »

If you really want to know what Caledonia is, it's the Latin word for Scotland.   Wink

"I don't know half of you half as well as I would like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins from Lord of The Rings
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53PM »

Then would the song be about Scotland? or not necesarily?

DwarfMaster

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08PM »

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing it's about Scotland, or the area.  But I don't know.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I would like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins from Lord of The Rings
Jason

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:54PM »

Yes, Caledonia is about Scotland. It was written by the great Scottish singer-songwriter Dougie MacLean.

Since his earliest days as a solo artist, Dougie MacLean has written song after song that speak in the voice of his beloved homeland. He has even written what has become the second national anthem of Scotland, a song he describes as a "wee homesick song" called "Caledonia."

from a nice little biography on him @ http://www.visitdunkeld.com/dougie-maclean.htm

I do love his version of the song too.

Natalia
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00PM »

Thanks for sharing that Jason, the song makes alot more sense now.
I always wondered what Caledonia was.

CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19AM »

I am listening to Celtic Thunder's version of Caledonia and i have to admit, there version is really really good, and so to me, it is on the same level of Lisa's version.  It isn't better than Lisa's version, but It is really close.

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 02:47PM »

I like both versions, but it's the lyrics that actually came first- especially the refrain
There's this one person I like, so I told him to search for the song, and he understood immediately.

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:46AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2V-rfkl0g

Check this out. Not everyone might like the song played on the bagpipes but I think it sounds great. And by the way, I play it myself Cheesy

Maggie
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03PM »

Check this out. Not everyone might like the song played on the bagpipes but I think it sounds great.
And by the way, I play it myself Cheesy

Scotland was named Caledonia by the Romans.
Their name for Ireland was Hibernia, Wales was Cambria, England was Albion.
The Roman Emperor Hadrian built a wall across the border between Caledonia and Albion. to keep the Picts at bay.
They were the ancient inhabitants of Caledonia.
He started the wall 1,889 years ago....You can still see parts of it, and the Roman forts.

Hadrian's Wall....it was used as a location in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" -

This is a scene from Caledonia which has been taking place for hundreds of years.
Scottish soldiers marching back into Edinburgh after a battle.                                        
This time it's the Black Watch Regiment, after serving in the Middle East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO16kk-pkOM&feature=related

The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 05:50PM »

You know, when I first heard this song, I thought that it was a love song about a person. This is sort of correct, if you replace person with place.

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
Parker Gabriel

The British Isles may become all I have left.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:00PM »

There was one performance from the representatives of the Celtic Woman which I have not seen, but Celtic Woman representative Lisa Kelly was a mother-to-be at the time. The first two lines of the selection read, “I don’t know if you can see / The changes that have come over me,” and when Ms. Kelly commenced to sing them in that one performance, the audience broke up laughing in hysterics. Poor Lisa, herself, probably found it nearly impossible to keep a straight face!

The British Isles may become all I have left.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: