Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Dolle Dinsdag' (Mad Tuesday)  (Read 3665 times)
greenfire6
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:16AM »

Many Dutch remember or observe tomorrow, 5 September as Dolle Dinsdag.

Having endured 5 years of occupation it seemed their liberation was at hand and WWII Europe would be over soon. But due to poor decision making by the Allied High Command they and the fighting forces of Operation Market Garden would suffer through a terrible fall and winter.

Groesbeek native, Mr. Roel Kerkhoff has authored this remarkable, illustrated website that tells of this tragic yet inspiring story:

http://www.rememberseptember44.com/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:30AM by greenfire6 » Logged
MaryNorth93
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:45AM »

Thanks for posting the link, it's amazing. Never learned on school about Mad Tuesday and I always wondered why the release of my country wasn't finished yet...

It kills me if people don't want to participate the remembrances of the war or ask why they should remember the victims Undecided Remember the soldiers who fought for your freedom and remember the victims...   
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:36PM »

I didn’t recognize the name but I remember back in the 50’s, hearing about how the Germans shot the paratroopers while they were in the air and unable to defend themselves. It was a slaughter.
Not surprising that people don’t remember. Those that were there are dying off.
Vietnam is not that long ago but the youth of today don’t know much if anything about it. That was 34 years ago. They don’t know about Korea, why would they remember WWII. Ask them about D-Day and they probably think that D-Day films were Hollywood fiction.
Sorry, I just picked up the original movie The Longest Day.
The site is awesome and the old film clips are great. Then as today, someone always seems to have a camera.

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:12PM »

Having endured 5 years of occupation it seemed their liberation was at hand and WWII Europe would be over soon. But due to poor decision making by the Allied High Command they and the fighting forces of Operation Market Garden would suffer through a terrible fall and winter.
Theres a good movie about this operation. At one point, one of Sean Connery's staff (Sean is a Colonel or General, some big shot) says "Tea sir?" and Sean says " we arent were we are supposed to be, our radios wont work because we have the wrong transistors, our few vehicles are gone, we are completely cut off behind enemy lines with no relief in sight. Now, how the $#@% is tea gonna make things better?"  Lots of stars in this war movie, well many war movies of that era had all the big names. Michael Caine and I think James Caan were also in it.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: