Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Vincent" a.k.a./known as "Starry, Starry Night"  (Read 13508 times)
chickie.monkey
Total Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 04:24PM »

wow, that's very pretty.  i suppose i should get off my duff and get her cd.  i've only been *planning* to do that for about a year now....

Texas Chava

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 04:28PM »

Kate, I also believe there's a story about him cutting off his ear and sending it to the one he loved.  Not sure if it is true or not.  He did have problems, but he was brilliant.

Banner by Scott
KiernanKate
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 05:03PM »

Oh he was definitely brilliant, when I was in 12th grade I was dividing my time between two different schools... one mainstream public and one alternative learning.....

the later had a painting of a Vincent Van Gogh, done by one of the very talented Art students ..... it was a gifted school.

Cheesy not saying what subjects I took there .....
Maggie
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 06:55PM »

Kate, I also believe there's a story about him cutting off his ear and sending it to the one he loved.  Not sure if it is true or not.  He did have problems, but he was brilliant.

Well it wasn't such a romantic story.....
In 1888 while living in Arles, he cut off the lower part of his ear after a violent argument with Gaugin, and later presented it to a prostitute.
In previous years he had been treated for STDs, and he also suffered from epilepsy.
In 1890 he shot himself and died 2 days later. His brother Theo was by his side.

How tragic that Theo's great-grandson, also named Theo Van Gogh, also died a violent death in 2004:
(quote from a newspaper)
Mohammed Bouyeri assassinated van Gogh in the early morning of Tuesday November 2, 2004, in Amsterdam, while he was bicycling to work. He shot him eight times with an HS 2000 (a handgun produced in 2000 in Croatia), and Van Gogh died on the spot. Bouyeri then cut van Gogh's throat, nearly decapitating him, and stabbed him in the chest. Two knives were left implanted in his torso.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:44AM by Maggie » Logged
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 09:50PM »

Chloe did "to where you are" and Josh did that song too!

Thanks Lindsey
Thistle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 01:55PM »

Chloe's version is my favorite among the 3 versions that I've heard. She gives the song the best emotional coloring. Smiley

Incidentally, I've been lucky enough to have seen that painting when a modern art show (sponsored by the "Met" in New York) made it to my home town. Let me tell you — hardly any photographs I've ever seen came near to doing it justice! Remember that big dark chunk of driftwood that you saw in those art class posters? Picture instead a bright green cedar tree right up in front... & all the colorful little details in the town... Oh my, "Now I understand" barely begins to cover it! Shocked Shocked Shocked

"Listen, my child," you say to me;
"I am the voice of your history!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: