Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST ON THE ROAD TO LISDOONVARNA  (Read 7430 times)
zicom

« on: April 06, 2007, 07:46PM »

A few years ago, while driving in County Clare, Ireland, I became lost
between Ennis and Lisdoonvarna. I stopped at a crossroads to examine the direction signs, which were in several languages, with
assorted B&B and Pub signs tacked on for good measure.
It was raining and foggy, so I got out of the compact rental car, to
examine the directions more closely. It was then I noticed a man
approaching the crossroads with a huge dog, It was an Irish Wolfhound who appeared to be friendly.

"Are ye lost Yank"? he asked, no was my answer. Yes ye are he said.
Where are you headed? Lisdoonvarna I replied. You missed the
Matchmaking Festival, it was last month he said. I don't care about the Festival, sounds like trouble to me. Why are you going to Lisdoonvarna then? I like the sound of the name, and I am taking the long way to Galway and the Aran Isles. It's about a mile and a half to
the next crossroads, but you could make a wrong turn and get lost again. If you like I will ride with you and show you the way. As I thanked him and entered the car, he opened the door on the rider's
side, pulled down the seat and said in you go Rory to the Wolfhound.

I knew what was next, the dog shook the water off himself and all over the inside of the car and occupants. I have another dog just like
Rory, but he's at home today. Needless to say I was glad he was not here to join us in the small car.

As we were driving down the road, I realized that the Wolfhound's head was extending into the front seat area, and in order to hold a conversation with my new friend, Emmet, I would have to lean foreward  to see around Rory's head. I asked him the best way to the Burren, he laughed, and said man your in it. He was correct this
area is on the southern tip of the Burren. ( The Burren covers 300 square kilometers and is the largest karestic limestone area in Western
Europe. The Burren is covered with limestone slabs and patches of grass, with very few trees.) Galway Bay and the Aran Isles, can be seen from the northern edge of the Burren.

When we arrived in Lisdoonvarna, Emmet said here we are a Pub on
one side of the road and a B&B on the other side. I thanked him profusely for his kindness, and asked if I could take him to his original destination. Aw no he replied, it was my pleasure. I then said come into the Pub and have lunch and a Guinness. Thank you kindly he replied but I have to be on my way. Enjoy your stay in Ireland and God Bless You.
fireyred09
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:56PM »

Was that a true story? I liked it  Smiley
zicom

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 07:03AM »

True story, and typical of people I have met while traveling in Rural Ireland. Happy and Blessed Easter to all.
zicom
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:18PM »

Absolutely typical of people all over Ireland.

They don't all have wolfhounds, fortunately!

On Dave's first visit to Ireland, we stopped in the middle of Kilkenny, studying the map and deciding where to go.

In no time we were surrounded by some high-school kids.
The biggest lad knocked on the window.
Dave got nervous....."what do they want?"
I told him not to worry, they want to help.
He opened the window, they were falling all over themselves to help us, very politely.

Dave told them where we were headed, they gave him very precise directions and said " God bless you, have a safe journey!"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:26AM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: