Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fiddlers Retreat"  (Read 7265 times)
dbaldock

« on: July 02, 2007, 12:52PM »

Hello all,

Another find in Volume 56, Number 4, July - August 2007 issue of Ireland of the Welcomes magazine is a notice about Fiddlers Retreat in Ireland.
Quote from: Ireland of the Welcomes Magazine
Fiddlers Retreat is Ireland's first and only Traditional Irish Music and Culture School of its kind.
Whether you are a musician or simply an enthusiast, there are a wide range of interesting courses, while tailor-made packages are also available.
The two main packages available are:
The Irish Music, Culture and Cookery Appreciation Holiday
The Appreciation Holiday is designed specifically for people with no musical background and musicians of other instruments, styles and traditions who want to experience many elements of Ireland's rich cultural heritage.

The Irish Fiddle Course
The Irish Fiddle Course is designed for both fiddlers and violinists alike; players of all levels from total beginners up to advanced level are welcome to attend.  Courses run throughout the year and class sizes are always small - and students are placed in courses with players of similar standards.

The courses are run by Theresa Bourke, and she can be reached through the Fiddlers Retreat web site.

Since I don't play a fiddle - if I went, it would have to be for the Appreciation Holiday.  Maybe someday!

Take Care,
David Baldock

"At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies." - P. G. Wodehouse, Uneasy Money
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:45PM »

The courses are run by Theresa Bourke, and she can be reached through the Fiddlers Retreat web site.

Since I don't play a fiddle - if I went, it would have to be for the Appreciation Holiday.  Maybe someday!
David Baldock

Cheesy David - thank you for promoting my family!

Theresa is a relative of mine, a fantastic young lady, in fact I was in her house "Fiddler's Retreat" on 17th and 18th June. She had two lady fiddlers there, one from Germany one from Ireland.

Theresa started learning the fiddle from Kathleen Nesbitt, along with Máiréad, and went to the same schools.
You will see from her "Biography" on her website that she is very well qualified to teach anyone, and you would definitely enjoy your stay!

I have often put a link to Fiddler's Retreat on here:
www.fiddlersretreat.com
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:55PM »

That's awesome!!  I just started renting a violin, I'm really wanting to learn Irish Fiddle, as well as classical violin.  However, I currently can't get over to Ireland.  I hope I can find a good local teacher.

Jeanine

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:38PM »

That's awesome!!  I just started renting a violin, I'm really wanting to learn Irish Fiddle, as well as classical violin.  However, I currently can't get over to Ireland.  I hope I can find a good local teacher.Jeanine

You should be able to find one.
When you do eventually go to Ireland, you can top up your skills.

Theresa's daddy, my cousin, sadly passed away last September.

However, she helps her mom run the family Pub.
Her brother helps also.
If you are lucky, there will be a music session in there when you go.
(And there's one every Friday)

Here is the family Pub in Thurles, County Tipperary:
www.irishmusicbars.com/restdisp.asp?restid=519

Let me know if you are thinking of stopping by.
This is where I had my Guinness 4 weeks ago, served by Theresa. I was sitting on that 3rd barstool, and very happy indeed :

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 03:45PM by Maggie » Logged
dbaldock

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:26AM »

I just heard an advertisement for Theresa's "Fiddlers Retreat" while listening to the "Trad & Folk" stream of music from LiveIreland.com.

Take Care,
David Baldock

"At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies." - P. G. Wodehouse, Uneasy Money
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:06PM »

Wow! These fiddlers (besides Mairead) seem so great in that look. Cool

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: