Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadtrip Stop #3 - Mohegan Sun CT 10-30-09  (Read 2693 times)
Scott

« on: November 01, 2009, 07:51AM »

For the third live show on Roadtrip ’09 Mike [Mr.Peabody] and I went to the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville CT to see the girls perform.  We got there after visiting the Groton Submarine exhibit of the USS Nautilus and were stoked for a great show.

Mohegan Sun Arena is, quite simply, an arena.  The acoustics are pretty good as arenas go, but the lighting is superior (especially compared to Syracuse).  One very interesting thing is the use of the huge display screens flanking the stage.  This allows people further back to view the show better.  I would love to get hold of a copy of the video feed that they used, I’d even be willing to pay for it hehe.

Before entering the venue, we met up with many people from different Forums… Furrface, Walter, BigDave, John (MeavMan), Vincanity, Joan, Joe and Kathy, Stevie… quite a good turnout and all showing wonderful enthusiasm for the girls!  Mike had arranged to get a block of seats for 5 of us, unfortunately they were all way up in the far upper deck.  Checking at the box office before the show, we were able to get 5 seats in the lower section about 10 rows back, piano-side.  We were bummed out that we had not been able to get decent floor seats at all, we were even willing to pay well for them, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Here is a quick synopsis of the night: the girls did an excellent job, it was obvious that they were pouring their hearts into the show.  Special mention needs to be made for “Sing Out” and “Oh America!” as excellent numbers for the evening.  Thank you Lynn for making “Carolina Rua” come alive for me again!  

Unfortunately, almost everything not on the stage was bad.  And I do mean it was BAD.  We might not have had a great view of the stage (though it was not a terrible view either) but we had a perfect view of the floor seats, and I am galled at what I saw.  The lack of enthusiasm from the floor section was beyond rude; it was just plain boorish.  In the entire 15 front rows, only “the lady in the orange shirt” (whoever she was) showed even the slightest animation during the show.  There wasn’t a single standing ovation until “Oh America”; many in the front 5 rows didn’t clap at all; and many left after “Oh America!”

People arrived beyond just the “fashionably late” mark, they were still being seated at the beginning of “Goodnight My Angel,” which is just ridiculous.  Even worse to me is that people were still being seated AFTER intermission at the beginning of “You’ll Be In My Heart” and even the beginning of “Last Rose Of Summer.”  As happened in the spring at Mohegan Sun, they brought stacks of food with them to the seats, and many people in our section whispered all during the show.  One lady five rows in front of us was texting for about half the show.

About the only good thing was that, unlike in the spring, I didn’t see many flashbulbs go off in the crowd during the show.  

Firstly, I blame the crowd.  It was obvious that most of them just didn’t care, or certainly didn’t care enough to let the girls know it (we gave standing ovations on many, many of the songs, though the girls couldn’t see us).  As a native New Englander, I sincerely apologize to the girls and to the entire stage cast that such a thing happened in my region.  If any of you read this, please remember that they were NOT representative of the people who live here.

But, I can’t blame the crowd for being seated late.  Sure the people could have gotten to their seats by start time and by end of intermission, but the venue could have controlled it and it did not.  For that I blame the venue management at Mohegan Sun.  And in the interest of full disclosure, it doesn’t happen there only; it has happened at all twenty-four shows I have been to, in all areas of the country.  It just was (and is) worst of all at Mohegan Sun.  I may go back there again if they have a CD signing; I will leave it to your imagination as to whether I will go back again otherwise.  It only bothers me because there were no other shows in my area, and for many people it was the only show they could get.

I am fortunate, I have another show tomorrow, with pit seats at Buffalo.  And as Mike and I headed back to our hotel, we realized that, as dedicated fans who love the girls, we would have to make certain that the crowd apathy of Mohegan Sun did not happen again.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:09PM by Scott » Logged

Gambit

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:19AM »

I hate it when the audience shows absolutely no appreciation, it's such a disrespect to the girls. Angry
Well, I'm glad that you and Mr. Peabody enjoyed the show.

Thanks for the buttons, Rich!

God bless our troops!
Joan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:58AM »

Hi Scott,
Joan here! First off it was very nice meeting you Scott. Thanks for sharing all your special collection with us. You nailed your comments about the Mohegan Sun show. I am embarrassed to say I live in CT. I felt very bad for the girls who were singing their hearts out. I had a conversation with Tom and my daughters about the all the issues you brought up; which in no way did you exaggerate. Tom had a good point. He said that the "high rollers" always get the good seats. In fact, many get them free as a perk. That's way we forum members who absolute adore these woman and would be extremely grateful to be close and inact with the girls, get the nose bleed seats. So these people come, probably never heard of the girls and are just coming because it's FREE. Needless the say, I won't be going to another Mohegan Sun show. They wouldn't even give Lisa singing "The Voice" a standing ovation. I was very disappointed. They did however, at least become more receptive at the end of the show. Too bad it took them so long! Moghen Sun should stick to sporting events only.

I will continue to go to the Chevrolet Theater and Radio City from now on. I have never been disappointed at these shows.
Joan
Vincanity0011210

The Diamond In The Rough

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:33PM »

May I say I agree with all the folowing comments, except that I saw and counted 36 flashes from cameras, and one of the supervisors said they wouldn't stop the people in the center floor seats from taking pictures with flashes because it may disturb the show.
And it was great to finally meet fellow CW maniacs. Hopefuly we can get better seats next time, and also it is sad that there wasn't a better venue for New Englanders.

Follow me on Tumblr!
VinceVent
Critiques on my art=always helpful!
DeviantArt
I'm also looking for comments on my work.
VanderPhoto[
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: