Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaelic Football  (Read 14525 times)
Maggie
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 10:05AM »

....... I knew a girl in the airlines many years ago who was from Limerick. I think she still works for Continental and is now in Tampa but probably has a married name. I knew her by Marion Giltenan and she was a fun little redhead.

I have some news of the "fun little redhead" from Limerick.....did you know her Dad was the head guy of the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association)  in New York for a while, before they moved back to Limerick?
I am sending you a pm which may put you in touch with her......

Just popped back on line for a minute.....we will be away for a couple of days
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:57AM by Maggie » Logged
Moscapoet
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 05:04PM »

WOW, how cool is that, head of the GAA in NY! No wonder Marion was a real hoot! Thanks so much Maggie for the pm. I will write and see if I can track down my old friend. It would be fun to go to a CW concert with her. We worked the late shift at LA and a bunch of us would go sit up on the dunes at the end of the runway after work with a cooler and have "board meetings" until the wee hours. Great craic!
Maggie
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38PM »

Unfortunately, Marion's Dad passed away in April 2006.
Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.
Below is the Obituary from the Limerick Leader. As it was published last year, I don't feel this post is intrusive on their grief. He was a prominent figure in the GAA.
However, out of respect I have left out his address and the names of family members:

The late Sean Giltenan

The death has occurred of Limerick’s Sean Giltenan, a former President of New York GAA Board.

A native of Rathkeale, Sean Giltenan resided at (This item removed) in recent years.
Sean hurled with his native Rathkeale from a young age, but in his early 20’s he emigrated to America.
"He left Rathkeale for America in the mid-50s," recalled Limerick’s Central Council delegate Rory Kiely.
"In New York, He became involved in the GAA and was President of the New York GAA Board.
He was always very helpful to hurlers and footballer who arrived in New York and especially those form Limerick," said Kiely.

On his return to Limerick, Sean settled in (This item removed)
"He was always a familiar figure in the he Gaelic grounds, where he was a steward until recently."
While in New York, Sean was also involved with the Limerickman’s Association.
He is survived by (This item removed)

Removal from Thompson’s Funeral Home, Thomas Street, Limerick to Christ The King Church.
Requiem Mass followed by burial afterwards at St Mary’s Cemetery.

Courtesy of The Limerick Leader
29 April 2006
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: